I sound awful

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aarix, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    I kinda figured, which urks me since I'm about the same age and can't get a absolute rich tone, just average.

I'm trying I'm playing hard and trying to wear my lips out but I've been trying to player with a looser embouchure to attempt to apply more air and get a better sound overall which keeping dynamics in check

Thanks, I'll try that out. I've been pushing notes of the same fingering while only using air to push the notes.

I've used a 3C since I started playing, The trumpet is an different brand (I believe its called "Hawk", but professionals told me it sounds great when they used it), Also I can pedal an octave under the C and its progressing well

Amazing story, when I did my piece of "Carnival of Venice" I kept pacing pretty well and I tried not to over practice, I was terrified but somehow I got 39/40, and I listened to other trumpet soloists blow me away in their sound and style. I need to find my own.

Volume, check. I always record me playing and compare and I can hear when I'm weak in places pretty clearly cause the mic is sensitive, overall I don't sound as bad as I think but its still not enough.

I'll do what I can, but I want to at least sound clearer and more professional

Yes I hear all of you and I'm terribly sorry, I didn't see the 2nd page :/ I appreciate all youre guy's help seriously.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    great suggestions ...
    When I am practicing my long tones I try to find the sweet spot on every note... the one where the horns seems to light up with resonance. I feel like playing softly for at least one set is beneficial.
    The room you are practicing in can make a difference. I find myself walking from room to room in the house ( I am not reccomending this) and listening to how the horn responds in the room. Even the angle of your horn can change the sound depending on the characteristics of the room and where the furniture is.
    It doesn't take alot of air to get a full sound ... breath support yes but air into the horn not so much.
    I also have found that single tonguing exercises if you concentrate on a solid attack seem to help improve tone ... don't ask me why because I have no idea... they just seem to have that result.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    OH NO!!! HAS IT COME TO THAT!!??:roll:
    Seriously, does the "static" sound go with you from trumpet to trumpet? If not, you probably have something loose on/in your horn. I have had that happen before with different horns. A valve cap is loose or brace comes unsoldered. I had a 2nd valve slide that was loose and would make a very annoying staticky sound until I slapped some Hetmans #9 on it. If it goes with you from horn to horn, you need a good teacher who can evaluate you face to face. We on this forum would just be guessing and throwing out random thoughts on what to do (do what I say, not him! :roll:).
    "She told me it was a $1500 trumpet ... "Hmm, not likely! It's the player, not the horn.

4. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Someone else made a comment about not believing no one had mentioned cleaning the horn, I can't believe someone hasn't said to find out what the problem (static) is. It doesn't seem logical to me to keep practicing something that may be wrong, this will only reinforce the bad behavior and make it harder to correct. I think only a good teacher watching and listening to you will be able to identify what is wrong. IMHO, it just seems logical to me that 'correcting' things that may not be wrong is wasted time.

Good luck,

5. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I like this philosophy a lot!

One other thing I just thought of that should have been in my previous post. Lip size, structure and composition also has a lot to do with sound and playing and again this is a factor that can only be addressed by a good teacher in person. I just remember a high school friend who was always good but became great when got paired up with the correct mouthpiece.

God Bless,

6. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    I know the static isn't the trumpets problem its just i'm doing someone funky with my embrasure. It sounds like static that I can hear from my horn under the actual playing, adjusting it usually fixes it but I think the problem is only temporary when I get more practice in. And yes we established the value of the horn doesn't affect the value of the player which discourages me more since if I'm able to sound like that, then the time should be now, which its not, since i'm now the same age.

Well I suffer from having thick lips, which is why I was good at the tuba last year, I've always used 3C as oppose to 7C but what else to you recommend? Don't know what I should do about structure and composure.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You could try a larger mpc., if what you're using isn't comfortable although it sounds like practice is the real issue.

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Aarix - forget anything about thick lips, it doesn't matter. I have full lips and have been told by several trumpet players that I should switch to trombone or tuba. this was years ago and I have a friend that specializes in embouchure developement and fixes. I told him what several people mentioned and he pulled out a book that showed many great trumpet players and their lips. these were mainly symphony players and great technical players and their lip size and fullness was all over the map. he told me lip size has nothing to do with how you sound or how well you play. he had me work on long tones [he had me play a G for twenty minutes a day before I did my normal practice. He had me hold the low C out as long as I could and work on the sound I was wanting. after a few weeks of this very boring practice I went up to middle G. a short ime after this I was playing a big band job and got some comments on how good I sounded. I also had more endurance and my range really improved. I was not working on range or endurance, those were just a by product on working on long tones. play the mouth piece which is the most comfortable for you and work on those boring long tones.