I sound better on my Bb trumpet than i do on my C trumpet.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JustinG007, Dec 26, 2011.

1. JustinG007

JustinG007 New Friend

May 14, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Guys,

So I just got a C trumpet for Christmas and started messing around with it. As I was playing today, I noticed that I sound better and can play higher on my Bb (up to a D above the staff). My Bb is a strad 37 and my C is a Wisemann. This is the first time I have ever played a C trumpet.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Do I have to get acclimated to a C trumpet? I have an audition coming up soon and I really want to use my C, how can I play well on it?

Thanks a bunch!
    Happy New Years!

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    There's a "duh" factor in your post, can you guess what it is? :D How long have you been playing your Bb and how long have you been playing your C? Setting aside for a moment the possibility that your Bach just might be a better instrument that your Wisemann, wouldn't you suppose that you might need more time than a few hours to really ecome as comfortable with the Wisemann as with the Bach?

Congratulations on your new baby, BTW. Enjoy!

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Justin...welcome to Trumpet Master. Give it time, it will sound better as you get used to it. Best wishes.

4. JustinG007

JustinG007 New Friend

May 14, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Thank you for the replies!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  5. lemonzown

lemonzown New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Hey Justin. Being relatively new to the C trumpet myself (only have played it for about a year now), I can tell you that there is a period of time where you need to get used to your C-trumpets slots and length, because every trumpet is obviously different. In no time you'll be fine though, I promise. If you're having a hard time with your high range on the C, just play some scales; it will help you get used to the trumpet and also let you move around the horn easier since you aren't used to the length of the C trumpet.

Happy Holidays! hope I helped.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Try kicking your Bb under your bed for a week or so and play everything on your C to speed acclimation. Welcome to TM!

7. JustinG007

JustinG007 New Friend

May 14, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! I will try them all and hope that they work well!
    Have a nice holiday, guys! :-)

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Justin, go to the greetings thread and introduce yourself.
    Welcome to TM!

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    When your ear hears a pitch a whole tone higher than your fingers and brain expect, it is easy to lose orientation. VB gives a good suggestion.