I Taught Someone How to Play!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Dec 16, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    During the third day of band camp, a trumpet quit, and someone else, who never even picked up trumpet took up the spot. She wanted to learn how to play, so I started her on her mouthpiece, and told her to say "M" and then say the syllable "poo" while keeping that M shape. She made a buzz, and then I told her to try that a couple times. She was eager to try a couple notes. So I had her put her mouthpiece into the horn, and blow, with the same M and poo, a very nice, pretty clean tone came out, at a G. I then taught her the fingerings for F, E, D, and then taught her how to play a C. About two weeks later, when school started, during a ninth period rehearsal, she played the five notes, she could only descend down from the G, but her notes were getting stronger, and her tone was still a very good tone for someone only playing for two weeks. I then told her to speed up her air, and a very nice C came out. Then the next day, during our lunch period, I taught her how to descend the C scale. Every day, she practiced during ninth period, and by the end of the month could actually play up to an F! It wasn't strong, but she was trying, and not using a lot of pressure. Once marching band season was over, not only was she a semi decent player but she wanted to do trumpet instead of percussion during concert band! She loved playing so much, she switched. She already knew how to read music, which was a big plus, but overall she got the fingerings down, and her tone was excellent the last lesson I gave her in the beginning of november. Well yesterday, while I was eating lunch, in the band room of course, her band teacher (has a minor in trumpet performance, a very good player) was working alone with her, she did very well, and her F scale was actually becoming very clean, and he was working on going below B (under C), so she could learn the bottom of the G scale. Then he said her tone was simply amazing for someone who had only played for approx. four months!!!!! I actually taught someone how to play, and got them to love trumpet! :thumbsup:

Maybe this might be something for me to do when I graduate college! I have to say, even though im not a wonderful player, I've given one girl tips, who actually went from being worse then me to beating me in wind ensemble auditions by three points, and I taught another person to play, I have to say its really awesome to see how good someone has gotten with your help! I now know why being a teacher is so rewarding!

(please don't bash me for being 15 and teaching someone to play, she wanted to learn to play, I was next to her during our entire show, she wasn't even planning on continuing past this year, so i figured why not)

Anyway thought I'd share that quick story!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    A warning from the movie "Failure To Launch".

One way a sneaky girl entraps a guy is
    "Then I let him teach me something... But the bottom line is, he bonds with me."
    Failure to Launch (2006) - Memorable quotes

Of course, some of us guys like being entrapped by girls :cool:

Dean

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Well one problem with that quote Dean, is that Im a girl lol. These two are my best friends lol.

4. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    I am SHOCKED :-o

(Do your parents know?)

:oops:

Dean

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    That's great! - Both that you are a girl and that you taught someone the trumpet. We all need to be recruiting people who love to play and who will stay with a difficult task while building a skill. I always enjoyed having the girl trumpet players in band when I was in school and now in the community band where I play. Obviously there are some incredible role models in players like Tine Thing Helseth and Alison Balsom. So, You Go, Girl!

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I know that great feeling of being a part of getting someone started on the music road....No matter what they will remember how they started and you were there!:-)

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Congratulations on teaching someone to play -- it's a great thrill to be able to get someone started on making music on an instrument you love.

Whether it's something you should do after you graduate or not makes no difference now. It's certainly something to consider.

If you continue to teach these friends as they advance, or if you start other beginners, you will likely find, as I have done, that it really helps you focus on things better and you might find that you become a better player as well. Often we learn things, we absorb them and then we don't think about them as they become a natural part of what we do and you really have to think hard about how to explain them to a complete beginner, in terms they can relate to.

Best of luck to you.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Way to go, Kristina!

I love your attitude, but you have a tendency to dwell on your age - being ONLY 15. I suggest you knock that off! It's only a silly number. Go on the web and Google Natalie Dungey. She's 10, and can already play better than most of us.

Be 15 and proud of it!

veery

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    I have to say the part about it helping my own playing is definitely true. By learning how to explain how to make the sound I make on a trumpet, helped me a lot, and also breaking down everything so she could understand really helped me learn the techniques behind trumpet better then before. I was even happier (well in a way) when the girl who I helped ended up beating me and getting second chair!!! Watching her succeed on tips I gave her, was really a wonderful feeling. And I know the whole age dwelling thing, but some people on here are really against teenagers teaching people how to play, so I had to throw that little disclaimer out. And Natalie Dungey is a spectacular player!!! But I now know why its really such a wonderful job to teach, frusturating at times, but when you see someone you started from scratch, get compliments on how great of a sound they have, watching them really love trumpet, and also fit right in with people who have been playing a LOT longer then them, its really very rewarding! For now the trumpet major/band director is taking over because he's obviously a lot more experienced then I am, but I have to say, maybe as a senior, when my skills have been honed down, I can start giving lessons, for free most likely, cause for me to see someone progress with my help is a lot more rewarding then money!!!

10. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Way to pass on the knowledge, RHSbigbluemarchingband!!

In High School, I taught one of our flute players to play trombone. I'm proud to say that she eventually became the trombone section leader. :thumbsup: