I Taught Someone How to Play!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Dec 16, 2009.

1. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Um, it can still apply....

2. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    Congratulations! Maybe you could be a teacher one day! Now if only everyone were like you, then there wouldn't be any bad trumpet player out there!
    Keep up the good work!

3. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Congratulations. I find it funny and somewhat ironic that the best teacher isn't always the most qualified teacher. Keep up the good work.

4. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Congrats on making more trumpet players! Wow, that didn't sound weird at all... I taught my little sister how to play when she was in 5th grade. Now she's in seventh and she earned 2nd chair in Jr. High band, gaining the envy of all but one of the eighth grade trumpeters.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    "Maybe you could be a teacher one day!" - stop, think about what you have said, and what has been described for us - SHE IS A TEACHER NOW.

As a professional educator I can tell you, it doesn't get any better than this - knowledge passed on to a student, passion encouraged, and the "teacher" has gained a great deal too. That the teacher is a girl, or that she is only 15 is totally irrelevant. If you are unable to learn from someone based on irrevelevant factors like age or gender, then your head is too big (this comment is not directed at anyone in particular - it's an observation in general), I'm not sure what happens to the airflow if one's head is too big..

Teaching is attitudinal in every respect.

I have done the courses, experienced the magic, gained the qualifications - teaching is nothing more than commonsense. Oh, you wonder about being a Subject Matter Expert (SME) - teaching occurs in tiny, tiny, steps - the SME bit is relative - we are each SME's in some tiny subject - some of us get the joy of glueing a lot of tiny subjects together. Too easy really - what really galls me though is that some of you can teach AND play trumpet well :bash:.

6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Well my drive for teaching the one girl was basically the fact that I really wanted our trumpet section to be good, AND she was willing to learn to play this holy instrument, so I figured why not. Took a couple lunches out of my life, but all worth it to gain another player for our band, and to hook another person on to trumpet! She really enjoys herself in band now, and has really come very far with the instrument. I just never knew that using little bits of common sense knowledge about this instrument, how it works, the issues I've had with my playing, and other observations I've made while learning, would ever come together to work in tandem and help to make another trumpet player!

7. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Now to properly assimilate her into the trumpet section, you must instill within her a deep hatred of all things woodwind.

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Oh she already has a very deep hatred for woodwinds, brass all the way!

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I hear what you are saying about teaching. I get jazzed when I help someone no matter what the subject. Im probably not good enough to teach music but I do like to help others and this shows in you. Great job. Best wishes.

10. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I wonder if ultimately she'll ever forgive you :)

Kidding, 'grats on passing the torch!