I think Granny's Seeds is a little confused

Discussion in 'Horns' started by MUSICandCHARACTER, Oct 21, 2004.

1. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
  2. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I think Granny must be British. Over there they call all brass instruments trumpets. At least in the movie "Brassed off" they do. :>)

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Well, if that is the case, there is a problem for Granny ... she has these trombones listed in the trumpet section of eBay ... not likely to get a lot of bids.

I guess a trombone is more or less a slide bass trumpet .. :D

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    No, sadly, this person hails from Corsicana, TX, not too far from home for me. Must be a t-sipper...

5. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    You don't really believe that do you? Give us a break ..we are not ALL that dumb!!

6. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Mr. Alanbach,

I have too much respect for the British to ever think they are dumb or stupid.

But, you guys on that side of the big pond do have some amusing quirks; like driving on the wrong side of the road and drinking your beer warm. Warm beer? No wonder you drive on the wrong side of the road. :>) I'm kidding.

If Granny is like my Mom, all brass instruments are the same. To her, my cornet, my trumpet and my tenor horn are all just brass horns and I love my Mom. :>)

"Brassed Off" is one of my favorite movies and my favorite line is "...and it's a bloody euphonium."

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Compared to America where all saxophones and all brass are referred to as "horns" :wink:

In the movie they might call them all trumpets, but in reality even my 7 year old students know the difference - it seems that the majority of US players still refer to the trumpets, cornets, flugels, trombones, etc as "horns." :wink:

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Bourbon City... small correction to your quote. "It's not a bloody trumpet; it's a euphonium!" (spoken over shoulder to hassled housewife who has been left standing on the front stoop as he marches down the street to "band").

9. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    Bourbon City...no offence taken mate...one has got to be able to take it as well as hand it out...witticisms that is. As for warm beer...well that's another subject. The REAL McCoy has to be cellar cool ..... I'm sure any UK trumpeter will agree with me on that. I will always remember visiting some friends in Tulsa and presented Randy the man of the house with some Macallan whisky (note no letter E)...when he went to put some ice in the glass I recoiled in shock horror.....that's another drink to savour at room temperature.......I'm sure this is going to get some reaction from both sides of the Atlantic :lol: