I think I did well!!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by 68 Flair, Sep 26, 2005.

1. 68 Flair

68 Flair New Friend

Aug 12, 2005
    Great Deal

Just got a great deal. I have been looking around for a new horn and had ruled out Strads because of price. Being in Canada they are hard to find in local stores and usually big $$. I had settled on the Yamaha 8310Z which in Canada goes for $2,250.00 + 15% Tax....so $2,587.50. I walked into a local shop who usually has low end student horns in stock and they had a Bach Strad 180-37ML with Sterling silver Plus bell. I checked with two other stores, one local chain is selling the same horn for $2,895.00, no stock, also phoned one in another Province and they sell it for $3,300.00. I picked up this one brand new for $1,800.00 Cdn dollars + tax!! I have a feeling the dealer had to have made a mistake? The horn is absolutely beautiful. Plays like a dream. The Canadian dollar has been strong these last few days but is usually around 0.75 to the U.S. dollar. This would mean that I paid roughly $1,350.00 for a 180-37 with a sterling silver plus bell.
    I am one happy guy!!! :D

2. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Great news! Congratulations on your new horn! Don't you just love getting a great deal on great instrument? I know that I don't have to tell you that you will enjoy your new horn, as that is a given, but enjoy it anyway.

Take care,

Gary

3. 68 Flair

68 Flair New Friend

Aug 12, 2005
    Thanks alot for your kind words. I absolutly love the horn. I was a little concerned because of some of the things that I had read about some of the Strads being hit and miss. All I know is that this one is a beauty and plays like one as well. I am surprised a little bit by the weight.....as mentioned I had been looking at the 8310Z which is a light weight horn
    but the tonal quality of the this strad just blows me away....no pun intended.

4. 68 Flair

68 Flair New Friend

Aug 12, 2005
    By the way I had a Zeus G and absolutly loved it. Had to sell it when I hit some financial issues. Great Horn!!