I think I"ve made up my mind.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I'm gonna get more into the Lead playing aspect of trumpet than classical. While I still ove playing classical solo's, I'm gonna try and do both, but concentrate more on jazz. Idk, it just really moves me when i hear a beautiful song, and a funky solo. I think i was meant to be born in the 60's and 70's. but I missed my mark :D

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Patrick,
    the sexy solos are usually not played by the lead trumpet. The chorus book is usually the second trumpet and the screech book the 5th trumpet. The lead trumpet has the function of being the knifes edge on every chord as well as Mr. excitement for the tonal balance of the ensemble. If you are really into jazz, get those chorus skills up and running. Double C is not a prerequisite for a killer solo!

3. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California

haha I know i know... Double C's are cool though haha. yeah, after playing lead all through High school... and playing classical, its hard just to make up my mind like that. Maybe if I'm gutsy enough I'll pull a wynton and try and do both, but who knows. Jazz seems like it takes more theory memorization and practice to get improv down, as well as being a ...... ya know, about articulations. I just found out my last few years of high school how to lead a jazz band playing lead, and that the lead player sets articulations and timing (excluding the rhythm section) on stuff... I just had so much fun doing that.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Unless you're extremely good in one style, the more styles you can play well, the more gigs you get.

CHAMP likes this.
  5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    This is one of my biggest complaints with younger folks. Patric, wear as many hats as possible. There is no reason at all why you can't study both classical and jazz elements. I garuntee you that the classical skills you learn will transfer to jazz and vice versa. Why limit yourself on what you can possibly acheive? Grrrr....

Jazz vs. Classical schools are not dead. Alas. Can't we all get along?! HA.

6. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Maybe i should refrase my post... If I dont make it more into classical I'll go for jazz. I wanna try and do both if I cant. But I will always have a heart for jazz