I think I'm ready for my....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Apr 1, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    first gig. I want it to be in an area that's well traveled, so I can play for a good amount of people. I think I'll put together some nice classical and jazzy solos. I just don't really have experience with the whole gig world.

I think this is going to help with my problem of being nervous. In drum corps auditions I go in feeling good but I always shake when I play. It affects me when I'm selected to play my part in an ensemble so the director and check to see if we know our parts.

Any advice
    I am willing to join an ensemble that's locally in my town or Williamsburg

2. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    hey man... ive had experience with small town gigs... nothing huge, just coffee houses and churches locally, but i know for a fact that the only real way to rid yourself of those shakes is to get used to the feeling of the performance. i always just feel the music, you know?
    just jam man... dont know much about classical performance, considering i think the two different styles have different well... i cant exactly say but im sure you understand it... i know that at solo and ensemble i just go with the flow, feel the music and put my heart into it. my director told me after the district competition, "now you know the music, but for the next month you need to eat and sleep with the music!" that mindset is what got me gold at state...
    the whole nervous thing will come with time, however, equipment is MONEY, i know that in the gig world someone always has a bose system, if you have the cash get some nice music equipment, of course if your getting into a group that has the stuff already, thats great! make sure if you are using your own cords, you put a nice piece of flourescent tape on it that way no one jacks it, cuz i garauntee some one will... have fun show up early, and make music for that crowd, they want you baby!

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I think I'm going to ask Barnes and Noble if I can play for them.
    I heard they don't mind or charge or the space

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    One thing that always helped me (won't work with conductor or if you need to read music) was closing my eyes when I played.....

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Find a beach or a public park and play during lunch...

6. Artemisia

Artemisia Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2009
    Austria
    I'll be doing my first really important gig on Saturday :shock:

Wish me luck ... :/

7. chiachifan

chiachifan New Friend

Mar 6, 2009
    You will be fine! Good luck!!!

8. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Just go out and play the best you can play. Develop the attitude if they like it fine if not oh well. As long as you are happy with your performance that is really all that matters. Most of the folks you are playing for don't have a clue whether it is fine playing or not.

9. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Great advice! Watch that wind blown sand though. sand loves to destroy cameras, too.

It is STRANGERS you must practice playing before. The audience is full of them. Practice in public. Let 'em walk by,,, stop,,,,leave,,whatever. "Who Cares" is your attitude!!!!! You are taking advantage of them. You are using THEM for your benefit. This is what you think in your mind to be a better performer, not how you speak to, or treat them, of course. Use them for a mind set.

The mind set is..... Every crowd of strangers is the same; NO Matter the number. Every crowd is the same; No Matter the location. And, never start a sentence with "And" unless followed by a comma. And, always KNOW,....(mindset, now)......KNOW!!!.., that you know more about what you are doing with your horn than anyone in the audience.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I can't really say that I ever "thought" about that first gig. I was asked to play a church service when I was 10 or 11 and that really got things going. At 13 or so I had my first solo concert. I was really nervous, but the organist really helped me focus on the fact that everybody in the audience "knew" how I played and were not expecting more or less. With that in mind, the pressure of having to offer Maurice André qualities at 13 years of age disappeared and I was able just to go out and do my thing.

That is my suggestion. Play for YOUR audience first. They are familiar with YOUR strengths and weaknesses and are there to support YOU. Once a bit of routine has developed, you will find that performances to strangers is no less exciting or rewarding. Only the agenda of each listener is different. Some expect PERFECTION and especially the frustrated critic that never made it in the music world can spoil our day - even if we clean up, musically speaking.

Good luck! Prepare properly and do not allow for any experiments. Have your repertory down cold.