I threw up a little in my mouth...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by elduque, Aug 19, 2010.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
  2. elduque

elduque New Friend

Jul 8, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    Exactly! Pretty soon, they'll try to phase out humans as musicians and people will pay to go see these robotic orchestras out of intrigue and amazement. Sure, the interest might wear off once the shock of it subsides, but it's still not something I want to become mainstream.

Here's a crazy idea - let's build a robot that converts CO2 to O2 or cleans our water or fixes the ozone layer or sucks CFC's from the atmosphere. These seem more worthwhile endeavors than a musical robot that can be out-shined in seconds by a person at 1/1000000000th the cost.

I guess I just don't understand the motivation to remove humans from the musical equation. Call me crazy, but isn't music a part of being HUMAN? Isn't it a means of expressing emotion and conveying ideas - neither of which a robot has!?!? I want to see a robot describe how it "feels" the music to me.

It just demonstrates that sometimes smart people can be really dumb.

3. Doctor Squeak

Doctor Squeak Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2010
    Sounds a little mechanical to me.

4. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    I wonder what brand valve oil the robot endorses.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the players here would finally get the message that music is SOUL and focus on MUSIC and their SOULS instead of high notes that are USELESS, speed that is grooveless and quick cheap solutions, there would be NOTHING to worry about.

Just like Chess has not been killed by computers, music will not be killed by them either. What goes around comes around. Go practice something useful and secure your position in the trumpet players world!

6. johnwilliam

johnwilliam New Friend

Dec 6, 2009
    Many have commented that the player is the soul of the music, and that's true. Player pianos were once popular but I'd still rather hear my wife play!

Scott

7. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Hans Simmer won a Grammy for the theme of Crimson Tide. The entire score calls for synthesized instruments rather than orchestral...except a trumpet solo and a boy's choir.

8. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    The dealers can hardly move Honda CARS right now, there's no threat from a silly robot. This is all part of the "We're Gonna Live Like The Jetsons" fallacy, ain't gonna happen folks.

9. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    C'mon. That's really Arturo sandoval after his crash diet inside that suit. If not... damn, I'm gonna be replaced again.:-(

10. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    I admit that it is very impressive, and I'd definitely go to see an orchestra fully made of robots. Would I go to listen to the music? No. Would I listen to their music for weeks after the concert? No. Would I go again? No. Robots are, and always will be novelty items when they are trying to replace humans doing something that comes from your heart, not how quickly you can put a tab on a coke can. A can is the same if a human does it, or a robot does it. Music is completely different.

On a side note, that robot's mouthpiece goes further into it's face then the lead player in my band... :thumbdown: