I threw up a little in my mouth...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by elduque, Aug 19, 2010.

1. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Bwahahahahahaha!

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Great novelty, but pretty mechanical sounding. It needs the soul upgrade. You have to admit though, that bot has a few moves. They programmed in choreography pretty well. Showboat! Let's see how well he handles a sudden summer downpour onstage. :cool:

The Turtle

3. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    I'd really like to know how the actual playing part of it works - did they just put 2 pieces of rubber together and blow at them with an air compressor? I wonder how it sounds in the extreme upper/lower registers, if it can even play those notes?

Also somebody asked whether the robot could improvise... It would be really easy to create the illusion of improvisation. I wrote a computer program that "improvised" based on a set of given chord changes. Say 12 notes in one key and then move to the next (quarter notes only, although with a bit more work you could set it up to do 8th, 16th notes, etc). You could set numbers like 75% of the time it moves diatonically through a scale, 25% of the time it changes the direction it's moving, etc. It was really basic but it wouldn't be hard to expand on it. You could even set it up with preset melodies to quote under certain circumstances (ie, in the key of G, it has a 5% chance to play this Miles lick or whatever).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  4. cajunrph

cajunrph New Friend

Sep 2, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I've researched this a little bit and the robots web page indicates that the robot synthetic human lips. It also uses a special mouth piece so it can play. Toyota is developing these robots to assist humans in various tasks. I doubt that Toyota will be able to instill any soul on a robot seeing as they produce some of the most soulless cars around. Now if the Italians tried this we would be in trouble.

5. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I do not like it at all.... and I'll agree that there is zero soul to that sound. I wonder what the robot's "lips" are made out of? (maybe somebody said it already, and I missed it)

However, I would LOVE to see a robot play a quadruple high C with a really full, broad sound. =P Actually, that might be much too painful our ears...a triple will do.

6. erichmiller

erichmiller New Friend

Aug 17, 2010
    i think in the end, this is just another way for toyota to say, look what we can do/waste our money on. Luckily i dont have stock in toyota, so im not offended by their frivolous use of funds.

It did have a pretty good sound though ha

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  7. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I think it's a real robot, but the fingerings are sync'd with a pre-recorded performance.

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Synthesized music is already all around us and some of it is prety ingenious. Maybe it just hits uncomfortibly too close to home to see it on a trumpet and not coming out of an amp hooked to a couple of dozen wires and black boxes. I think there is plenty of music to go around for everyone, and if not we'l just bend the notes into something new, right? A robot isnt going to soak up all the available notes and certainly there will be places for all of us to play well into the future. Rest easy everyone, a LIVE performance is always prefered to canned music warts and all. Best wishes.

9. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Just to clarify- the robot really is playing. New technology allows for special synthesized lips that vibrate. I didn't believe it at first either!

I was just thinking that this would actually be very good for acoustic testing and instrument testing, because the consistency on these is undeniable.