I want a gadget that will let me hear myself better in bands

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Nov 11, 2012.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I'm not talking about a sound reflector. I mostly mean big bands and concert bands. I have found that when I play in a rock band and I use my in ear monitors, I find it easy to play in tune. In big bands and concert bands where I can't hear myself well, I find playing in tune much more difficult.

Is there some kind of tiny mic/amp/ear bud thing that would do this? If not, somebody needs to invent one. Should bring good money.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I have been working on this for 6 months. I have made a prototype of one and have been testing it. Once I figure out the best way of doing it, I will be making them by hand (etching circuit board, soldering parts assembling case etc) and selling them.

3. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    You could use the Yamaha Silent Brass system.
    They sell a clip-on microphone that can be plugged into the black box thing instead of the mute, and then plug in whichever earbuds you want.

Dupac likes this.
  4. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    After I posted this I wondered about the silent brass. Mine is the old bigger box. I like it better than the new one, but the new one would be better for on the gig stuff. Less conspicuous.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

HEY, I am watching this post very closely --- I thought I was the only dude who can't hear myself in concert band ---- as it goes, we have 12 or so trumpet, so I put the stand real close to try and help (but it really doesn't work well) ---YEAH, I am all for this MIKE -- great post,and you know there are more people like us out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Play in tune with the lead trumpet. That is the standard. If s/he is set a slight bit off key, you should be a sight bit off key. No fancy system is needed for this, just the near proximity to the lead. Priceless.

7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Playing in tune with the lead trumpet in a concert band doesn't cut it when you are playing 3rd and share lines with the horns, the trombones, etc. But if I can't hear myself, even playing in tune with the trumpets is challenging.

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The Yamaha MC7 clip-on mic will work with any Silent Brass electronic box. I've used the mic and the smallest amp unit to run a pair of in-ear monitors for screaming loud gigs -- it's a great setup. But the in-ear monitors I bought were problematic -- the custom-molded tips kept disintegrating, so I haven't used the setup for a while.

Here's a much more basic device:

Chasons music, Innovative products for the working musician, OcToBrass, Hybrid Mouthpiece, APM - Acoustic Personal Monitor

It looks kinda cheesy, but it really does work. The main limitation is it only feeds sound into one ear.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Sometimes the simple less complex stuff is more fail-safe. In fact it's always more fail-safe. That definitely looks like it would work great, and would also be a great practicing tool for vocalists, but then we know they are always in tune.............

10. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    I've been on the hunt for the same thing. Here are all the features I'm looking for, but can't seem to find them all in one package.

1. Battery powered
    2. xlr input with passthrough
    3. needs to have mic preamp on the 1/4" input, not just line input.
    4. built-in effects (makes using a clip on mic much more tolerable)
    5. additional line input for board feed
    6. additional mix input for ambient mic (otherwise you can't hear everyone else while using in-ears)
    7. small in size. belt-pack style would be good.

The best thing I've found is a vocal tracking headphone amp. Downside is that it is a bit bulkier than I want and isn't battery powered. Great for use in the studio, however.

ART Pro Audio

The silent brass amp comes close, but lacks the sound quality I'm looking for.

I'll be watching this post closely for suggestions.

Garry

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012