I want a gadget that will let me hear myself better in bands

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Nov 11, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    May be true for concert band, but for big bands, there are two main rules:

1) Warm up is sacred
    2) Always tune to the lead chair

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Hey, Garry.

For the kind of thing you are talking about, I use the Rolls 351 personal monitor station. (that's right, I have PMS) It has almost all the features you are talking about except built in effects. I use it with a wireless mic usually. Last gig I shared a wired mic with the trombone. I fed it through the PMS. It worked great that way. I could hear both of us and get an idea about balance, hear the rest of the band from a feed off the monitor speaker through an ART HeadTap with my Shure 215 earbuds. I also have a mounting thingy that allows me to mount the PMS to a mic stand. But this is too bulky for concert band or big band. I am thinking about trying my Silent Brass, just using one ear bud so I can hear myself. That way I can adjust my pitch to whatever section I'm playing with at the time. If it works, I may opt for the new Silent Brass unit. It is not nearly as nice as the older model, but is much less bulky.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Some years ago when I was the only french horn in a concert band of 50+ players the only time I could hear myself was when I was out of tune, the horn part was doubled by a gaggle of alto saxs usually overblowing.

I took a sound level meter one night, the band averaged +105db, peaking to +115db, I left soon after to save my remaining hearing.

OHS requires hearing protection to be worn at sound levels in excess of +90db in industry.

If you can feel your horn resonating and no one is complaining then all is ok.

Regards, Stuart.

4. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    I liked what Stumac has said here.
    I truly believe that you should be able hear the person either side of you and yourself as well. A balanced approach to all things musical.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The problem with that unit is that you can't use it unless your gig is fancy enough to have a sound guy, a PA and mics for the horns. This doesn't exist in many gigs. Try playing a club with a rock band where they bring their amps, the singer goes through a PA, and the sound guy doesn't have enough channels/mics for the horns. Happens to me more often than not.
    My unit will solve this problem.

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Actually, the HeadTap hooks into the monitor speakers. We rarely have a sound guy. The guitar, bass, and drums aren't mic'ed, but their ambient sound and what the other mics pick up come through to me pretty well. I can get pretty good balance using my little control box.

7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    But I would be very interested in seeing what kind of contraption you are cooking up.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Have you thought of playing louder? - the Band Director will tell you when you are too loud - never been in that position myself though. We place 2nd and 3rd chairs either side of the lead - yes, we mostly only have three trumpets - there's only 31 of us but as we sometimes add more trumpets they spread either side of 1st chair (s), and that works pretty well.

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I play a LOT of rock gigs, and monitors are a luxury. This is why you need a unit that doesn't involve using any preexisting sound setup.

Playing louder is the whole reason this device is neccessary. If you are palying two or three sets of rock music and you play louder than normal, you are going to destroy your face by the end of the first set.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm -- YEAH, did I tell you my community band has 12 trumpets -- actually we have lots of most instruments (even at the oddball instruments -- 2 Bassoons, 3 Bass clarinets and 2 oboes at yesterdays concert) --- the conductor always tells us trumpets ---- to play at half the volume that the music indicates.

and for those people who say -- tune with the lead!! -- did I mention we have 12 trumpets --- the LEAD guy is like 30 feet away from me, me being down at the end of the 3rd section (did I mention we have like 5 French Horns sitting in front of me???)) and believe it or not - the French horns have their bells pointing in my direction. NOW if I sat up there in the 1st trumpet section behind the saxophone players -----ooops check that, it wouldn't help because the lead saxophone player is the nicest, sweetest, and most beautiful young lady I met in quite awhile (and that would be distracting -- even to a great trumpet player like me)) ROFL ROFL ROFL