I want a gadget that will let me hear myself better in bands

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Nov 11, 2012.

1. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    In my experience, if I cannot hear myself it means I AM playing in tune! As soon as I have a spell of poor intonation, I hear it and correct it (maybe).

If I need a quick check anyway I point the horn at my stand - that usually gives it a boost back.
    Usually, though, I rely on my knowledge of the individual instrumental idiosyncrasies and I find that generally, if I do not think about it, my ear-brain-embouchure link takes care of the details for me.

If you've ever tried to play or sing out of tune, you know how hard you have to work to make it 'bad'. That's the 'survival instinct' I refer to; the natural tendency we have to make it right. At some point, one learns to rely on and trust that.

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Pitch is kind of crazy in this group. I have to adjust when I go from playing with the trumpets to playing with the french horns, then again to match the clarinets. It makes me nuts if I can't hear myself.

3. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Don't be a slave. The tuner (like the metronome) is only a tool. Use it when you need it.
    I wasn't saying to be a slave to the tuner and watch it constantly.

If intonation is changing during the performance (strange - I haven't experienced this), then you must adjust.

There's no single tool or group or tools that will play for you. Ultimately, you control what comes out of the end of the trumpet.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Of course it does. Changes as the instrument warms up.

5. JZSYami

JZSYami New Friend

Sep 18, 2012
    Northern California
    Amen to that!

6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I have been spending most of my time trying to find ways to better hear the rest of the band. Everyone has their cross to bear. Mine is learning to play at lower dynamics while listening to the rest of the group.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    One of the design considerations for a trumpet is the amount of feedback it gives the player. In other words how well you can hear yourself in a loud section. You do not want all the sound going out. In my experimentation I punched some holes in the flare of a bell; feedback was fantastic but not with a mute.

If you go the electronic route, I suggest that you build in some delay to the circuitry and adjust the delay parameters in each setting.

8. Patrick.mahon

Patrick.mahon New Friend

Jun 15, 2014
    Guys,

I have been looking around for a solution to hearing myself in Blues Jams where the guitarists have their amps at full blast. I was looking for some type of in ear head bud with a mic to attach to the bell, but to no avail. I then saw an accustic solution on line, that works in the same way as a medical stethoscope. See link Acoustic Personal Monitorâ„¢

Looking at how simple this device was i puchased the component parts for about 12 pounds (18 usd) and put is together myself and it works perfectly. I can play and hear what comes out of the bell in a loud room. i added one more part which is a clamp on the plastic tube as it can be a bit loud in the ear piece. Its the sort of clamp one sees on a saline drip. *Clamping the tube reduce the volume in the ear piece. Perfect. I bought this addition in a aquarium fish retailers as they use them quite a lot for other reasons.

The componets i bought from Earplugs and more from Enhanced Listening - Free and fast delivery available

I bought three of each thing, here is a list
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    1 x Triple-flange Silicon Eartips
    Triple-flange silicon eartips, pack of 6 (C180-3126)
    GBP 9.00 + GBP 1.80 VAT (20%)
    4 x Acoustic Tube
    Acoustic Tube *(SC1145)
    GBP 1.00 + GBP 0.20 VAT (20%)
    3 x Eartube, unequal 90 degree adaptor
    Eartube, unequal 90 degree adaptor *(SC1125)
    GBP 0.60 + GBP 0.12 VAT (20%)
    Shipping
    UK Next Day Delivery/International Courier. - United Kingdom
    GBP 6.50 + GBP 1.30 VAT (20%)
    Order Value = GBP 21.30
    VAT = GBP 4.26
    Total = GBP 25.56
    (GBP = British Pounds)

I am sure you could find a local supplier for these parts. Best of luck

Patrick

Olds Super

9. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    BE CAREFUL ! !

A scientific report (I think it was American . . ) has established that
    listening to your own trumpet through earphones will cause something
    called "Positive feedback".

The tone reaching your ears will continue through your head and into your
    mouth were it will once again be injected into the trumpet!
    Every time the tone passes the trumpet it will be magnified (thats what
    the trumpet does. . .) causing a massive buildup of sound energy and volume.
    The volume can reach such levels where even your teeth will crack!

The only way of eliminating this volume buildup is if the player would have some sort of
    dampening mass in his or hers head cavities somewhere, all according to the report.

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    For some it is a brain. others a bowl of cold porridge.

Regards, Stuart.