I want some honest critique.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeter221, Jul 9, 2013.

1. trumpeter221

trumpeter221 New Friend

May 24, 2011
    For our spring concert my high school band played English Folk Song Suite composed by Vaughan Williams. I had the oboe solo during the beginning of the second movement on trumpet. I'm 18 years old and have been playing for roughly 7 years.
    English Folk Song Suite Eric Whitacre - YouTube[1]
    Solo starts at 3:27. I know I can play it better, my tone imo was to shaky and bright probably because I was pretty nervous. I'm looking forward to some feedback!

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Sorry, but why ask for feedback from a clip where you know you're not deliver your best? I like your sound (very nice, actually), and intonation, but very tense. As you said your self :-)

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I agree with rettepnoj, and would by way of corrective suggestion add that you could think about playing notes to their full duration, especially at the end of phrases. Maybe you needed to take breaths. Your nerves might have been affecting tuning a bit too.

--bumblebee

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Some intonation problems with the band in general. It would help your sound if you had better breath support throughout the note and/or phrase. Your intonation seems to vary during the longer notes, tending to go flat at the end. Anyway, not bad playing overall. Probably better than I was at 18...:-)

5. trumpeter221

trumpeter221 New Friend

May 24, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback! Also I just realized the mistake in the video's title... English Folk song is not by Eric Whitacre, but by Vaughn Williams. Although, we did play October by Eric Whitacre. :p

Yeah, our band has always had some problems with ensemble wide intonation. I also do tend to go flat at the end of notes especially when I'm nervous. I really have to work with my breath support through longer notes and phrases.

It's just one of the few recordings of me playing. And thank you!

6. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Plenty of good feedback and I have nothing different to add about the performance.

A quick note of encouragement in posting the video: good for you! If we all waited until we were doing our absolute very best (perfect?) as some would suggest, there wouldn't be much sharing. It is through openly dealing with our shortcomings that we mature as players and people and you seem like the common-sense kind of person who already knows that. Again, good for you for sharing and having the humility to seek honest input.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    You won't catch this "used to was" posting anything.... :-?

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Aw, come on, man...post a clip of your playing and I'll post a "flapjackrabbit" for you. :lol:

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Oh sure, you active guys playing out all the time, chops in order, always trying to get an edge..... I'm on to you!!

[​IMG]

10. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    I know you're past the concert but if you ever play this again try not to think of the solo as a solo. Think of it more as the silver lining of sound floating on the cloud that is your band. Your solo line moves in conjunction with the rest of the band. I hope that makes sense... Besides that, it sounds like you could use some long tones and practice of lyrical pieces. Whip out a good recording of the 2nd movement of the Haydn concerto and emulate for MONTHS. Make it your goal to sound exactly like whoever is on that recording of the Haydn.

This is an honest critique and all this being said you played fabulously. I listened to the whole thing and the 3rd movement has some very nice trumpet moments on the solo and high fanfare section going up to the Bb's. I think it's Bb's? Might be a different key.