I want some honest critique.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeter221, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Every day, every rehearsal, every gig is still an adventure. You never know how they will turn out...some are good and some not so good. I don't post much of my playing on these sites, but I sure won't ever post any of the bad ones. :D

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Trumpeter221, I think your playing is just fine. Your flat playing came from the band going sharp, which leads to exhaustion and missed notes. I find more fault with the band, for which the conductor is responsible. The slow, plainchant section could have been, uhh, played like plainchant. Maybe it was the mic placement, but there was no transparency in the group playing, furthermore, the faster playing was rushed: notes need to be carefully placed at all times and with proper weight.

A wind ensemble is a very large chamber music group, and I didn't hear a lot of chamber music going on. If you seek to be musical, and listen to the other principals for style and intonation your playing will be fine.

Musicality trumps technique.

3. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    AMEN Brother !!! :play:

4. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    I also thought the group sounded a bit rushed, and muddy, and imbalanced. (Some of the imbalance could perhaps be blamed on the recording, I'm not sure.) That is a beautiful piece of music when played well. A bit slower and more precise would have done it a favor. To me it sounded like your [OP's] weaker moments might have been due to nervousness, and more playing is the cure for that.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013