I was given a cornettino... anyone know anything about them?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Mar 8, 2013.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    The cornetto was a predesessor of the trumpet back in the renaissance times. The cornettino is a smaller version. I've found a group to play early music with. They don't want everyone to be playing recorder... They gave me a cornettino to figure out. I'm a trumpet player and I have a fingering chart. Just looking to see if there's anything else out there to help me with my new instrument.

2. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
  3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    You'll have to watch your intonation - these weird things tend to be waa off...

4. Conntribution

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I was gonna add. Years ago...before the Internet age I was seduced by the dual charms of early music, and an early music practitioner. She played the viol, and my heartstrings with equal facility and ├ęclat.

Susato, Pretorius, Monteverdi, Okeghem, Agricola and Taverner were as familiar to me as Bix and Louis. It didn't last.
    Thus I returned to my early love....Jazz. But the Renaissance music left a lasting, though bittersweet memory.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Well played the cornetto sounds like a tiny trumpet, played like I play it, it sounds like a tuning-bell trumpet without the bell. :oops:

6. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
  7. Conntribution

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
  8. TerryR

TerryR Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2012
    Quakertown PA
    I read somewhere that cornetto players were among the highest paid musicians of the period...I hope the ensemble is following that tradition with you.

9. MartinRooney

MartinRooney New Friend

Feb 27, 2004
    Boston MA
    Jeremy West has a book out, "How to Play the Cornett", works fine for cornettino as well.

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010