I was in doubt, so I drilled it out

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Notavialible, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Notavialible

Notavialible New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    I borrowed a mouthpiece from a guy. A gold plated Callet 10S. It was in my suit jacket pocket and it fell out when I sat down. It landed on a hard tile floor and put a nasty dent in the shank. I took it home to fix it with my mpc dent remover. It didn't fit to well so I dremeled the dent remover down. I tried it again and it put a deep scratch in the shank because I didn't sand off the rough edge. The dent is gone, but now I have this deep cut inside the shank. Soooo.. I take a nail file and curve it so it will fit and sand down the cut. I sanded way to much and it took the silver and gold plating off, not to mention widened the backbore. :oops: I haven't told him yet. I guess I'll have to but it!! :( But.. He didn't like it anyways...

Just had to share.

2. Notavialible

Notavialible New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    Yeah, live and learn I guess. Somtimes I just get a wild hair and think I can fix it myself.

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

Have a friend take an xray of it and superimpose it in a "victim's skull xray. Show it to your pal. He'll instantly recognize the silhouette of his piece.
    Claim it was stolen and used in a tragic murder...and the cops are seeking for the leading person of interest...the owner.
    He'll stay as far away as possible from it.
    Might as well let it rip! The way your escapade is heading it won't be long until you reach this level of desperation anyway.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    If you leave a gold plated mouthpiece suspended over a low gas flame, to burn out a piece of wooden dowel that's stuck fast inside it, for example, the plating will dissolve into the brass substrate. So your bright shiny precious 24 carat gold plate turns into more of a rough 1 carat gold weld overlay.

Don't ask me how I know this.

5. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Seth: Absolutely loved your post! .... Especially the last sentence. BTW... I also have an old Getzen flugel circa 1975, and would like to know what mpc you like best with it. Please PM me with your thoughts. Thanks!

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That gem was worth reviving possibly one of the OLDEST threads at TM. 11+ years!!!!!! :shock:

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The OP also last logged in 11+ years ago!!! Maybe his friend read the post and.... you know!

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    No be me don wake zombie-o!

9. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Alf's real name was Gordon Schumway. Just sayin'.

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I resemble that remark. Us Gordons have had a hard enough row to hoe...