I was not in doubt, yet I still drilled it out

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by musicalmason, Dec 14, 2003.

1. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I had an old bach 3c lying around, just an extra, so I decided to go wild, I cut off about a half inch of the shank, trying to replicate the stork studiomaster, and then I took my drill to it, starting at the bottem of the shak I used two progressivly bigger bits to really drill it out, and then I took a very small bit to the inside of the cup and drilled that out, due to my lack of tools I created a sort of progressive backbore mouthpiece, which is guess what, now my marching mouthpiece! it has a bigger sound than any mouthpiece I have ever tried. only one downside..slotting...it takes alot more lip to hold a pitch up high on this piece, but marching, I dont have to hold that many notes. I say the benifit out weighs the neative, I guess I just got lucky.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Maybe that should read. When in doubt.. have a PRO drill it out :D

TM

3. bigbrowncow

bigbrowncow New Friend

Dec 3, 2003
    London
    Jet powered

In my young and naive days (no not last week) I drilled out a Jettone T1A with an 8mm drill bit.

It never made a very nice noise after that...it didn't slot too well, and it didn't add much volume. Somehow didn't seem like a big loss at the time :twisted:

Steve

4. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Opening the throat with a drill, without adjusting for any taper in the throat, will turn a tapered throat into a cylindrical one.

As a general rule, the longer the cylindrical section in the throat, the more focus or center to the sound, but the more it tends to condense or shrink the octaves, meaning the lower register goes sharp and the upper register becomes flat. As the cylinder is shortened (either from the backbore or the cup side) the octaves then augment or spread apart--all relative to the other aspects that makeup the mouthpiece.

Considering you can have a professional do this correctly for less than five dollars, you are crazy if you take a black and decker to it in the garage.

-marc

5. bigbrowncow

bigbrowncow New Friend

Dec 3, 2003
    London
    I should add that for many years I did play a Bach 3F that was (professionally) drilled out to about 22 or 23, that did work very well for me - I only stopped using it when I got the Stork Studio Master.