I wish more parents would consider cornets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 18, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have a Bach CR300 that absolutely plays the doors of a Getzen300 and Yamaha 2320 that I have. It seems you can get so much more horn at the beginning level in a cornet than a trumpet. I don't understand why band directors generally don't steer students/parents towards them.
    Not really a question but I am interested in anyone's comments on this.:dontknow:

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I agree, far easier for a skinny kid to hold up/play when beginning...

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Easier for an obese elderly guy,too. The weight is held closer to the body, reducing the arm stress.

OLDLOU>>

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Peer pressure - everyone else has a trumpet, I want one too.

Plus, HS marching bands play LOUD. Can't do that so easily with a typical cornet.

5. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    So why not teach HS marching bands to play musically and in tune first and foremost? :roll:
    Playing in tune and with precise ensemble will increase percieved loudness with out extra volume output, just ask any drum corps person.
    There is no reason why cornets can't pump out the sound either. Ever hear the Black Dyke Mills brass band or any other UK brass band?

Peer presure is probably the most common culprit as to why trumpet over cornet at least in the US.
    I agree that a smaller begining player could probably physically handle a cornet better and parents and the student would be better off considering one.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I often asked that question too. The cornet with its conical bore generally speaks easier and is better in tune for beginners than an equal quality trumpet. A cornet can be every bit as loud, but doesn't cut through as well.

Marching band is a touchy subject. I won't get started here.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Funny thing is, we have several pieces of music in the Concert Band that I play in, but the lead trumpeters just ignore the parts and play trumpets.

There is a difference in sound, I think of cornets more as a violin section in a band, and trumpets do cut through. What is sad for me is that I cannot convince them to use both. There seems to be a prejudice against cornets, while flugel-horns are getting popular.

I purchased a Beuscher BU-9 a couple of years ago, when it was on Ebay as a new horn and cost less than $250. I find it a nice horn - yeah it is a student horn, but has all the right bits, and sounds good. I do not understand why people do not buy these for students, as it is easier for youngsters. This may force the brass population to at least listen for the difference, and to get a cornet sound in their head. I have seen trumpet players pick up a cornet, and it sounds like a trumpet when played.

It is frustrating to see such a beautiful sound disappearing from the scene; maybe more old codgers need to push the cornet barrow on these forums. I can see that the brass manufacturers are making good products at fantastic prices for consideration.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    One tune that comes to mind in "Children's March - Percy Grainger" - 4 cornet and 2 trumpet parts.....

How many times do you see this played with just trumpets? Percy had a sound he wanted to achieve by mixing these horns; pity it is mainly lost.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm sorry to dissappoint everyone -- but I like trumpets better. I am glad the public school system here was biased against cornets so many years ago. One kid showed up with a cornet his dad had -- and everyone picked on him for playing a baby trumpet.
    I am so sorry I did that. ROFL.

I own 2 cornets - I can see they have a place - somewhere -- but I always grab the trumpet -- maybe cause I am used to holding that -- and the cornet doesn't feel right to me.

10. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I've never had the pleasure of playing a cornet. Would someone, that plays both, be kind enough to post a video.....maybe playing the same tune with each so that I could hear the difference?