I would like to better Understand Leadpipe Science

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Dec 5, 2008.

1. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

"..seems to be making the point that "blueprinting" an instrument will cancel the tolerance stack-up and provide a great instrument." -Ted

Would you say more to that, Ted.

Possibly you would speak to that as well, John. Also: are you anticipating you will be Building for others? If so, pencil me in for an order. I'd prefer a Horn from scratch, rather than piece-meal. You have the facilities to achieve this, yes? -You intending to incorporate?

Chris

-

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well Chris,

I get the 'impression', from John's extraordinary posts, that he is intending to apply engineering principles to the construction of the trumpet. The best example I can provide you is the methodology used by race car mechanics who build brand new engines (the whole car in fact) with components that meet specification exactly, minimising losses due to manufacturing tolerance stack-up.

For example: if a piston is made to a specification that allows, say, a diameter of 3.5" plus or minus .005" then potentially one acceptable piston could measure 3.495" and another acceptable piston could be the opposite extreme 3.505" a difference of .010". Different sized pistons will have different surface areas, different weights, and different heat carrying capability - giving, among other things, vibration. Then a small piston could end up in a large cylinder (using the same plus or minus .005" tolerance during manufacture) leading to gas losses during operation - and this is the part where trumpets start to come in. Small piston in a big hole represents tolerance stack-up. (There is much, much more to it BTW - and I have "blueprinted" a 'few' engines in my time - blueprinting is the engineers term for the elimination of tolerance stack-up by careful selection by weight or size, prior to assembly). Simply, make all the cylinders the same size plus or minus .000" and stick in an appropriately sized matched set of pistions.

I think John, and I expect he will correct me if I have read him incorrectly, is proposing to build a trumpet to his specification while trying to minimise losses due to tolerance stack up - in fact, to 'blueprint' a trumpet to his own specs. Exactly what ROWUK alluded to with his chum and the Bach instruments in a previous post - see above.

Does that help?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  3. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

That was pefection Ted. Much obliged. 'Balanced & Blueprinted'.

:D

-Check.

Good to see you can well appreciate John's meticulous, and learned approach too. -Shame there's not a designated Trumpet-Building/Builder's section, here at TM. This would void the apparent necessity of having to qualify interest, and intentions.

Nevertheless- i too originally felt your sense of applying extraordinary attention to 'fit and finish', was over the top John. Given it's a Horn. But then again... :) -That's good stuff. I particularly like your interest of building a higher-standard of quality, across the board.

That- i dig, Big Time! And get very excited about. No doubt, that would influence a market, given the support this philosophy would genearate.

Cheers

-

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008