I would like your input please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by silverstar, Mar 28, 2006.

1. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    I know I've posted this on TH and ibowtie already, but I would like to get some feedback from you guys too. (Plus, I want to show off what my Eclipse can do! lol.)

Here's a small clip (it may take a while to load) of me playing the intro to the "Carnival of Venice". I hope you enjoy it, and please leave me some comments/suggestions/feedback. Pardon the quality of the recording...it's from a camera microphone, so it's most likely not the best recording out there.

Thanks for putting up with my spam...sorry!
    Click here to watch My-attempt-at-the-Carnival-of-Venice

Lara

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Lara- What a huge sound. Clear attacks...very nice. Great phrase shaping, too. Practice the grupetto slowly and be certain of the direction of each note. Increase speed gradually to gain confidence. Wish I could hear the rest!

3. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    Thank you!

I have never been that great at embellishments...I guess it's because I don't practice them. I'll remember that.

I'm glad you liked it!

Lara

4. ADziuk

ADziuk New Friend

Oh geesh you stink!!!

Just kidding!

It is obvious that you have that section pretty well learned(you are not searching for notes, etc.) and you sound fairly confident on it.

The next thing I would do since you seem confident now is check a couple of those ornaments for time(very minor thing) and expand your dynamic spectrum of music in your mind. Try and actually sing it in your mind, or actually sing it!(don't do it with your friends around if you are embarassed like I am to sing)
    Remember this is just my OPINION so don't take it for more than it is worth.

The best thing about this video(besides your playing) is that you were willing to post it in the first place. Being a trumpet player involves taking a lot of risks and being willing to put yourself out there for criticism many, many, many times in life.

5. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    i think you have a really good solid start. here are just a few things I noticed (I'm not a pro or anything so don't take me too serious...):

-make sure you know the direction of the notes, the phrase and just what's going on in the music. when you start paying attention to those details it'll make the music that much more interesting. if you listen to how the pros do it (clarke, vizzuti, doc ext..) that should help you a lot..

-also the intonation on some of the higher notes was a little iffy... I'll let the experts give you advice on how to fix that.

but overall i think you have a really good start.
    *edit***

ps. I forgot to give you credit for having the courage to post this up for thousands of people to critique, I see that as a testament to you wanting to improve.

6. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    Thank you all!

It seems so far that I need to work on ornaments, phrasing, dynamics, and intonation in my upper range.

And just because you're 'not a pro' doesn't mean you don't give good advice/help! You guys have been playing so much more/longer than I have! I appreciate your comments!

Lara

7. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    It does sound great. I agree that there are some nice things happening here. However, if you mind me being constructive, I would suggest practicing with a metronome. It's one thing to be musical, but another to be off rhythmically. Also, try to make sure you take a nice full breath thinking of the syllable "how" while inhaling, blow through the entire phrase and sing it in your head as you are playing it. Afterall, it is just an extension of your voice. Other than that, I would say that you have a good start, but don't stop yet. Have you listened to any of the recordings? That might help you discover any rhythmic discrepancies you may not be seeing.

Good stuff, good luck with the rest :-)

Eric

8. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    Oh no, I don't mind you being constructive at all...as a quote from one of my favorite movies (and plays) of all time goes,

"Be brutal, BRUTAL. Heaven knows they will." (The Producers)

Thank you! Ugh, you said a bad word...the 'M' word...metronome. lol. *goes off to dig it out of her trumpet case*

Lara :D

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Nothing happens when I go to the site. Just a blank screen.

ML

10. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    Um....I don't know what to do then. I could email it to you or something...though I'd have to send it through "yousendit" because it's too big of a file to send via email.

Do you have Window's media player? That's what it's on.

Lara