I would like your input please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by silverstar, Mar 28, 2006.

1. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    I didn't play it from memory. There's a music stand off to the right of the screen that's (barely) holding up my Arbans. I haven't really looked at this that much, it's just something fun I thought I'd learn one day...just thought I'd clear that up. Eventually I'll try to memorize it...but, right now, I still need the music. (I don't want to be getting credit for something I didn't do...)

Thanks everyone for your help!

Lara

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey Lara!

Nice clip, and I hear great improvement from the last clip I heard (maybe a year ago?) Major KUDOS to that!

I'd love for you to blow through more on every phrase, and ESPECIALLY during those grace notes... make them flow with the music... never forced and always "graceful". I'd also think maybe shaping more dynamically will help... it's not written (I haven't looked at the Carnival of Venice in years, I did play it on a recital eons ago) probably as much but I'm always in need of more interpretation of the phrases.

Your airstream (and the proper manipulation of it) is your biggest ally!

FWIW, "YMMV",

T

:D

3. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Thank you all! Wow...so much input.

I made another clip. * :oops: * Did I learn anything? (I hope I did!)

Clicky!

Lara

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Even better!

And....by the way,,,BEAUTIFUL TRUMPET!!!!

-cw-

ps
    I like how your eyebrows go up with the high notes! lol

5. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    I don't know about anyone else but I definitely hear improvements with the overall tone and intonation and some of those embellishments even sound clearer...

here's the thing about shaping the music that I learned from Mr. Lindemann and my teacher:

You Can Always Do More

Also i really like this video a lot better. It gives me a better appreciation for that trumpet. It's so pretty and looks huge!!!!

btw nice smile in the beginning! :-)

6. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Lara,

Jorge has it exactly right. You can always do more!

Really subdivide through these phrases. 1-2-3 4-5-6 (Strong-weak-weak Strong-weak-weak). When you get to the second space A (downbeat of the 3rd bar) really count (1-2-3-4) before you move to the G and C eighth notes. You're setting up a "groove" with the melody riding on top, and right now you "lose your groove" every once in a while. Another spot were this is very aparent is the dotted half note (4th line D). WAIT for the C prior to the fermatta (this is the one that happens on the down beat. You are currently putting the fermatta on the downbeat. It's a whole different feel there!

The last rhythmic thing is just before the fermatta on the second space A. The bar before this is Quarter eighth triplet and Quarter eighth note. Right now you are cutting that second quarter note short (it's more like an eighth note).

When you fix those couple of bars and then keep the sound going through the phrases (not louder, just don't back away from it), it's going to be great!

I hope these ideas help.

Nice job!

7. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Time to upgrade to broadnad, I guess... I tried to listen to it several times and it just freezed my PC :bash:

Try to sort that out soon.

BTW: Lara, guess why I know that your "String-Of-Pearls"-trumpet is hanging above the window in the testing room? :cool:

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Ok now I don't feel so old.... Had you said you did that from memory I'd have really felt old. I can't remember half the fingerings on my notes anymore let alone whole piecies of music! :oops:

Enjoy your youth while you have it. :-)

Good job keep it up. Maybe one day I'll have the guts to do the same.

9. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Nice.

My "take" on this intro ....

Find an old Al Hirt LP (vinyl 33 1/3-rpm record -- I'm a collector) with his version of the tune. It has influenced the way I play it.

Robert Rowe

10. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Lara,

Nice...!

I really like your sound. Very mellow and warm.

I see in the second clip you corrected the bob and weave :D

Still lifting your fingers off the valve butttons a bit though.

Keep up the good work, to play that well at your age your doing quite well.

You've inspired me a bit maybe I'll get brave and post a clip.. :oops:

Keep up the good work!

Best wishes,
    John