Ice cream and eggs!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I"m half laughing and half pi$$ed off at my friend, he says he wants to learn guitar but wants to learn it "right" so he is waiting until he has "time" etc. ....... same old story, has to be perfect so never gets it done.

So, I said, Well, when I'm really decent, we could play some stuff together, and he says .. "Guitar and trumpet?? That'd be like ice cream and eggs". I said "some ice cream has eggs in it" and he said "But can you imagine a fried egg on top of your ice cream?"

I can't believe it, he thinks trumpet and guitar sounds like eggs and ice cream. :thumbdown:

I told him there's a video on YouTube of a guy with a French horn and a guy with guitar, playing Ave Maria, they sound pretty good ... :-) and he said "That's French horn, not trumpet" :-? I said, well, maybe by then I'll have a flugelhorn, that sounds kinda halfway between a trumpet and a French horn, :cool: he wasn't going for it. I think he's convinced all trumpeters play piercing show off type stuff or something. I dunno. :dontknow:
    :play: + guitar = eggs + ice cream ROFL

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    He's a guitar player! No offense to the multi instrumentalist here intended AT ALL! Both my son's play guitar and it is a prevalent attitude of the musically naive. I tried to enlighten them to other styles but if it wasn't headbanging, ear-splitting, turn you brain to mush loud, to them it wasn't music. They told me about a guy who was "fast". I watched and quickly found some Al Demiola on you tube. They were amazed, but it wasn't their style. AHHH, wisdom can be lost on youth. But there's always hope!

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Yeah this guy likes classical guitar and ..... how do I put this .... politically-correct suburban white-guy stuff. Stuff that'd be played at a company picnic. "Celtic" is a big word here, because it's kinda "ethnic" ya know? Loves Circe du Soleil (sp?) and stuff like that. Not that there isn't excellent music and performers in this area, but there's not a lot of sense of musical adventure with this guy.

I keep hearing this guy talking about how he wants to learn guitar, so I figure, if I can play with him bangin' out chords, it gets the guitar into his hands, right? But now, I give up :LOL

4. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Anyone who plays an instrument transposition involves a capo has to be taking a short cut.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I dunno if he uses a capo, frankly I don't think the guitar comes out of the case.

Don't trust anything w/o a spit valve.....

6. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    Anyone who habitually plays in the key of E has to have something fundamentally wrong with them.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've actually gotten quite use to it. Joined the church band and the charts were heavy with guitar. 9 out of 10 chats were in either E or A! Yeehaw.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A pro guitar player around here said he doesn't understand the use of a capo.

He said if he wants to play in another key, he just moves up or down the fret.

9. samej

samej New Friend

Apr 22, 2010
    Bristol, Uk
  10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Right. It's much easier to sit back and be a critic than actually attempt to do something.

"That will never work" is MUCH easier than "Wow, this is hard. This is going to take some effort".

Which one of these guys is the fried egg and which is the ice-cream? They sound too good together for me to tell:

YouTube - Caravan HD 720p