Ice cream and eggs!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Oct 8, 2010.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Yeah, I've experienced that. They look at you funny when you say it's not the best key for you, but they look at you even funnier if you say, "know anything in Bb?"ROFL

Try it somethime

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Using a capo on an acoustic guitar is NOT a shortcut. That is a misconception.

Turtle

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I only "play" rhythm guitar. What is a capo really for?

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I go to a tough church. They hand you the music and say "shut up and play"! Your doing it for God!ROFL

5. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    your friend know nothing about usic

It is awesome combionation

My friend and I once played "concierto de aranjuez" -he is great fan of flamenco and spanish traditional guitar music

and it was awesome

I have written also arrngement for "recuerdos do alhambra" -it is magnificent it has vibrato all though, marvelous piece.

the only problem is I do not play with him anymore, because we had an argument

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Try playing a five-string banjo (tuned in open G, retunable to C, D or D minor) in a different key without a capo, then report in. :noway:

BTW, it is much easier to nail Jell-o to a tree than to keep a banjo in tune. :shock:

7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Trumpet and guitar can sound very good together, as long as the rhythm is done with the guitar and the music by the trumpet!! :evil:

8. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife New Friend

Oct 7, 2010
    QUOTE:I"m half laughing and half pi$$ed off at my friend, he says he wants to learn guitar but wants to learn it "right" so he is waiting until he has "time" etc. ....... same old story, has to be perfect so never gets it done.

No offense to your friend, but you can't learn anything "right", reguardless of wether you have the time or not. The purpose is to learn the fundamentals of the instrument, THEN perfect the talent. When I started out on the trumpet, I didn't learn how to double and triple tounge perfectly or articulate just right or play in tune 24/7. I can almost guarentee you that you'll never have a "perfect performance". Even if the mistake is just playing one note in a entire song staccato instead of accented, it's not perfect. You're a human, so dont ever expect to be perfect. You can only do your very best, and if you do that, then your endeavors will work out. Tell your friend to stop procrastinating and learn guitar, cause it's awesome:thumbsup:

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I"m half laughing and half pi$$ed off at my friend, he says he wants to learn guitar but wants to learn it "right" so he is waiting until he has "time" etc. ....... same old story, has to be perfect so never gets it done.

So, I said, Well, when I'm really decent, we could play some stuff together, and he says .. "Guitar and trumpet?? That'd be like ice cream and eggs". I said "some ice cream has eggs in it" and he said "But can you imagine a fried egg on top of your ice cream?"
    Unquote

If you are waiting till you are both perfect - such a duet will NEVER happen, it's a non event. Build a bridge .... ROFL

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Exactly!