ID Don Rickles song?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by screamingmorris, May 8, 2008.

1. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Back in the 1960's-1970's, whenever comedian Don Rickles would walk onto the stage of the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, the band would always play a particular trumpet fanfare song that sounded like a bull-fight song for a matador.
    Anybody know the name of that song?

- Morris

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    It might have been "Toreador song" from the opera "Carmen" by Bizet?

3. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    I don't think it was the Toreador song.
    I *think* I know the Toreador song, and it always sounded like a beer-drinking song to me, a bunch of guys in a bar with their arms on each others' shoulders while they get drunk and sing.
    (Which makes me curious: What are the words to the Toreador song, what does it mean, what is the plot setting for the song, since I have never seen Carmen?)

The song played for Don Rickles was a slow, loud, dramatic song of trumpet fanfares, pefect because it was so melodramatic for Donn Rickles to enter like some sort of matador or conquering hero.
    It has been 30 years since I heard Maynard Ferguson's recordings of the song "Ole", so I don't remember much about that song, but the song always played for Don Rickles was of the same genre as "Ole"?

- Morris

4. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    I found the song with the help of an article from "Wicked-Pedia":

"Rickles earned the nicknames "The Merchant of Venom" and "Mr. Warmth" for his insult comedy in which he pokes fun at people of all ethnicities and walks of life. Often when he is introduced to an audience or on a television talk show, Spanish matador music, usually "La Virgen de la Macarena", will be played subtly foreshadowing that someone is about to be metaphorically gored. Rickles has said "I always pictured myself facing the audience as the matador."
    Don Rickles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did a Google search and found these recordings of "La Virgen de la Macarena" that you can listen to on-line:

by the Candian Brass
    Canadian Brass – La Virgen de la Macarena – Listen free at Last.fm

by Arturo Sandoval
    Arturo Sandoval – La Virgen De La Macarena – Listen free at Last.fm

Does anybody know anything about the origins of the song "La Virgen de la Macarena"?

- Morris

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Steady my Norse friend, be respectful of your wife's opinion, because even when she is wrong, she is right. If not for my loved one's amazing support and flexibilty, I would find it extremely difficult to continue to enjoy my trumpetting - because she's not all that keen (so she has some flaws - don't you all).

6. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    I (of course) totally agree with you.:-)

Since I met my wife, 30 years ago, and married her, (I remember the wedding date each year!), we have always had an understanding about beeing flexible to each other. She knows all about banding, since she has been following up two of our daughters when they played in the local schoolband, which I also conducted for some years. Our daughters has followed me into the local amateur brass band, which is qualified to play in the 1. section for the next years nationals.

Without her support and flexibility, this could never work at all. That's a irrevocable fact.

My signature just stroke my mind under the discussion we had when I was planning to buy the 8310ZS.

The opinions are correct, the conclusion is mine, but I am sure that she could make a persuasive calculation that my conclusion is totally wrong, and get a good laugh when I am trying to follow her equations........She always wins. I give up following her...:?: She's nice, and smart too

7. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
  8. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    Today is Don Rickles' 82nd birthday.
    Tell him that everyone at Trumpet Master wishes him a "Happy Birthday" :-)

- hockey puck Morris