Identifying a couple of horns

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Howard Solotroff, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Howard Solotroff

Howard Solotroff New Friend

Dec 3, 2005
    I could use a little help zeroing in on the manufacture date of a Bach Mercedes II
    Eb cornet (recently purchased). The number is 577942 and I suspect that it was made in the period 1995-2000. A Selmer/Bach representative that I spoke to recently was of no help.
    Also, does anyone know anything about a Hungarian instrument maker named
    Janos Lenhardt - active in the city of Pecs. I have one of his (alto?) trumpets that
    I plan to further restore.
    Thanks for anything!

2. radiobob

radiobob New Friend

found this on a quick Google search:

Lenhardt, János (1880, ? – 1931, Pécs)
    Museum of Music History
    János Lenhardt was a maker and dealer of instruments. He produced harps and brasses. His workshop was in Király Street in Pécs.

Bob

3. Howard Solotroff

Dec 3, 2005
    Thanks Bob.
    The Google information is about all I know as there is little else about this
    person/firm in English that I have found. I have written to a couple of people in Hungary to see what they can add-if anything.
    HS

4. Howard Solotroff

Dec 3, 2005
    An update on the Lenhardt alto trumpet.
    1. As the seller's identity is established ONLY on an attached escutcheon, and
    2. I find a remarkable similarity between this horn and those, from the same
    time frame (post WW1), manufactured in Austria - such as Stowasser, and as
    3. Hungary had only achieved indepenance from Austria following the 1918
    Armistice and peace agreements, and was probably still quite attached
    commercially - I think it fair to conjecture that Lenhardt, Janos was simply
    a retailer who, in effect, "stencilled" instruments made elsewhere. The only references to him seem to be as having had the shop in Pecs (Funfkirschen)
    until his death in 1931.
    Now - can anyone help in backround on the Austrian brass manufacturers?
    Thanks one and all

5. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

I think you are correct that this was a stencil. Heck, there were TONS of stencils make each year back in the glory days of the brass band craze around the world.

Many were quite fine . . . some were not. All were made so retailers could have their own private label brand that could not be "price shopped," and thus, the store could make a profit and remain in business!

Alas, hundreds if not thousands of brands still rest in cases in attics around the world . . . one day to resurface on ebay. Sadly, not much data seems to remain on most makers . . . including many of the great ones of 75+ years ago.

None of this diminishes the contributions, and the unique instruments, of these many makers and shops!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner