Identifying Jupiter Trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by dariusb, Jan 5, 2017.

1. dariusb

dariusb New Friend

Oct 31, 2016
    Hello,

Can you please help me in identifying this trumpet, it's a Juptier but can't tell exactly.
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

Thanks,
    Darius

2. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    I think you may have a horn built from parts of others. There is what looks like a model engraved in the side of the receiver (CTR-100?? it certainly is not one), but I don't think this can be a Jupiter (or someone else will respond shortly and surprise me, but...). This horn has Henry Esbach's nested tuning and key change slide system - the stop rod has been replaced and should be long enough to set the back slide out to the key of A. Trumpet parts in A became pretty much extinct by World War II, and the last horns built with an A key-change capability phased out of production after the war. KHS Music, which is the Taiwanese company that does business as Jupiter, built their first instruments in 1957.

This looks like something built in the 1940s (or 30s) that has been updated with other parts, probably the receiver among them, to me.

3. dariusb

dariusb New Friend

Oct 31, 2016
    This is from ebay, and I asked the seller to tell me what model is this Jupiter trumpet and he replied: "The Model is Jupiter".

Do you know how much this is worth or have an idea?

4. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I wonder where ConnDirectorFan is....... :roll:

I would pay 80 bucks for that maximum. Looks like a frankenhorn to me.

5. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Get the seller to take the d--- valve guard off. The Jupiter brand was introduced in 1979[ they started with Swallow in 1957 but the only ones I've seen are from after 1969) and the horns look way older because they copied old design elements from other makers...

Okay - the receiver looks to be marked STR-100ish or 300ish. The 100 is a Conn 15B Director...imitation [look for the casings and bottom-sprung pistons]. The bell stamp is the JUPITER / KHS MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS design. The STR designations were introduced in 1983, the above bell stamp was introduced around then, so this horn is from 1983 at earliest. The braces and other parts look distinctively KHS/Jupiter. They reset the serials to 500000 in 1986 with a new stamp font.
    I've not seen a C/B-flat from Jupiter but that doesn't mean they didn't make one.

The 300 is a Yamaha-esque imitation with pistons copied from B&H Microbor and used on various models.

Get that seller to photograph the receiver [a good photo, too], take out the pistons, but most importantly - photograph the serial!

6. dariusb

dariusb New Friend

Oct 31, 2016
    This are the photos he sent me, on the receiver it says STR-306.
    $_142.jpg $_122 (1).jpg $_122.jpg

7. dariusb

dariusb New Friend

Oct 31, 2016
  8. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    It says invalid; the STR-306 looks like a lower-level multi-key trumpet [I might have one in my serial list for KHS]

I do have one in my list! 813025, from 1989, modern-stamp serial - French eBay

9. dariusb

dariusb New Friend

Oct 31, 2016
    Can you say a price?

10. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    So are we saying then that KHS built a Bb/A trumpet in the late 1980s, 40 years after everyone else stopped building those (because NOTHING is written for trumpet-in-A)? The proportions with that rear slide all the way in are Bb. The stop rod shows it is an Esbach configuration, not a removable insert for C. So it is definitely an A/Bb.