If it didn't cost you $200, how many of you would . . .

Discussion in 'Horns' started by tom turner, Jan 19, 2004.

1. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    I was just wondering . . .

How many folks out there would love to try a Wild Thing that haven't because the restocking fee is $200 and up.

I, for one, would never have tried one. I just stumbled across a nearly new one for sale and got totally blown away when playing it. I'll bet I'm not the only one.

I'm always writing about how well they play and sound, but so many people have never had the chance to experience what I write about.

Who would try one if they had a chance without paying that necessary restocking fee?

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

2. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I was able to try one at ITG. I wouldn't have paid $200 to try it. Also, there was a used one at the DFW TrumpetFest. I think if you and Flip try to get horns to the various shows, that'd be a big plus. Then, a few more people would have a chance to audition the horn enough to decide if they're ready to risk the $200.

The question you didn't ask is how much would I be willing to pay? Certainly $50, plus return shipping. Maybe a little more.

I don't mind paying retail for a horn that has been "auditioned" by a number of others; however, it must be cosmetically and funtionally 100%. If not, then I'll need a discount.

Dave

3. tom turner

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi Dave,

Great comments!

Actually, Flip and I are thinking about finding new ways to expose more people to at least be able to see what they're missing.

There IS a reason I'm asking this question. I'm just waiting to see the responses before saying any more yet!!!

Anyone else out there interested?

Tom

4. BachMan

BachMan Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2003
    Are these Wild trumpets sold in stores anywhere :?:

Or do you have to buy them direct from the maker :?:

5. tom turner

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

To this date there are almost 600 Flip Oakes instruments on the entire planet . . . that's all, counting the Bb and C trumpets, two types of cornets and the new fluglehorn!

They've never been sold in stores. The ultimate-performance "super horn" segment of the market is so miniscule compared to the popular market that it isn't even a "blip" on the radar screen . . . and the big manufacturers could care less about building horns to be so perfect for this picky, demanding and small market of prospective clients.

The horns are simply amazing. The word I generally use is "stunning" to describe how I feel playing mine . . . because I'm stunned how well they play and sound.

THE RESTOCKING FEE . . . it's done for two reasons:

First, the fee is high enough to totally discourage "thrill seekers" from ordering one to check it out with absolutely no plan (and possibly no funds) to purchase the horn at all. As one poster said earlier, no one wants to buy an old demo horn for new. This keeps it from happening.

Second, it takes him three hours average to go over a returned horn, do a great polishing job and detail it as perfect again. He commands $75/hr. to do bench work on horns so do the math . . . it comes out that the restocking fee simply covers his time to re-detail the horn!!!

ONLY A ONE AND ONE-HALF PERCENT RETURN HISTORY!!!

Actually, since 1997, there have been exactly NINE horns returned that were not purchased . . . that's ONLY 1.5 PERCENT . . . that surely beats going through and rejecting about 20-30 Brand "B" horns to find one that is acceptably good.

The return rate says an awful lot about how wonderful they play. Wild Thng buyers are typically very picky and discerning players. They know an awesome instrument when they play it . . . so a 1 1/2% rejection rate is mind-blowing!!!

If you ever wish to check one out, contact Flip or myself, we'll see what we can do to let you try one!

1. Flip goes to the major trade shows and plays jazz festivals out West (he lives in Southern California). Some people will make arrangements to meet him somewhere or visit him.

1. I live in Georgia, travel a five-state area in my "day job" and do clinics when I can on the East Coast. I also can meet folks and let 'em try out my set of new WT horns (Bb tpt., cornet and fluglehorn) I've got for demo and sale.

All in all . . . excellent ways for someone to check 'em out!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

6. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    What about a few "boutique" trumpet-only dealers, like PiCK on the East Coast and Airstream here in Dallas, plus three or four others. If you had four to six strategically place dealers with one horn each (and a set of slides) then it'd be much easier for prospects to try the horns.

You know that Conn Selmer actually puts lots of horns out-on-consignment. These are horns (like Selmer Paris) where the market is small, but the horns will sell themselves if put in the right hands. These are dealers that are already committed to Conn Selmer (perhaps selling many Strads per year), but the consignment strategy gets many more models on the shelf. Since you don't have an "in" otherwise, you'll have to pick your dealers carefully, probably from the boutique shops. Of course, the dealers love consignment because their risk is almost totally eliminated. You could think of it as having four to six demos out at any one time.

I'm active in the custom guitar market with friends on both the builder and boutique dealer sides. A lot of business is done on consignment. I think it's a healty way to expand, with minimal risk.

Dave

BTW, I have no connection with PiCK or Airstream, other than they supported the DFW TrumpetFest.

7. pjtpt

pjtpt New Friend

Jan 17, 2004
    Have you made plans to set up a booth at the National Trumpet Competition? I know that GR will be there with a booth. You would get lots of interested players.

8. imjazd1

imjazd1 New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    Hey Tom,
    Thanks for explaining the re-stocking fee..I hadn't thought of those things.

9. Krafty934

Krafty934 New Friend

Jan 11, 2004
    Hey Tom,
    I would LOVE to try out a Wild Thing without having to pay for the restocking fee. If I had a lot more money, I wouldn't have minded paying the restocking fee but since my parents are the ones getting me a new horn, they would definately not be happy spending $200 if I didn't like the WT. I hope that Flip considers sending out a horn so that people can try it out without paying the restocking fee :wink: !

Later,
    Kaushik

10. Bill

Bill New Friend

Nov 11, 2003
    Madison (Huntsville) AL
    Kaushik,

I have played Flip's horns for a number of years now, having owned a lacquer, silver and now a gold plate Bb. They are, by far the finest trumpet I've played for being able to musically express yourself in all genres of playing. The Wt might not be the absolute BEST lead horn, or the absolute BEST orchestral one, but definitely blows away ALL the competition for all around applications.

Ease of playing - A
    Intonation - A
    Ability to "color" your sound - A+
    Fit and finish - A+
    Slotting of notes - A
    Upper register ease and slotting - A+
    Lower register tone and accuracy - A

You posted this topic on the Trumpet Herald and received a number of responses from people telling you to spend the money on lessons. Lessons are always important. I responded to you and suggested we could possibly work out something for a trial of the one I own. You never replied. Most of the other replies (if not all) assumed they knew what was good for you. I don't. You are old enough to make up your own mind. The only way to find out is to play one.

Why am I considering doing this?

I think the world of Flip Oakes. He is a great designer, player businessman and all around wonderful person. He has helped me out over theyears understanding how to play his instruments. If I can help promote his instruments in some way I will jump at the chance. I also have a great deal of respect for Tom Turner.

If you are interested in doing this contact me via email. We can possibly work something out with minimal cost to you and little or no risk to me. I totally understand the need for a re=stocking fee for the the reasons given above, and believe me, the $200 is a small restocking fee compared to other types of retail operations.

You seem genuinely interested in buying your last trumpet now. If your parents are of the same mind maybe we can make this work for you.