If you could have dinner with ONE composer, who would it be?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Alex Yates, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    This is a toughie.....Think of who you would love to have a long dinner with and just spend the night talking music and life over wine and good food. I ask that specifically because I am not asking who you would like be around in a lesson situation or attend a lecture or, or, or - but consider the personality from what we have studied in music history, on our own (for us music history buffs) and performed.

juggling...... :think:

I have to go with the feisty one......Igor Stravinsky.

(There are one or two that are a close second and it is killing me not to add them, but NO CHEATING! Keep it to ONE)

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I'd have to say ditto, although I would want to go have a drink with him too...
    -jimi

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    You got that right Jimi!!!! Since I am a Grey Goose drinker, I think Igor and I would have a grand old time. :lol:

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

4. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    PROST!!! ;-) Myself would honestly have to say Beethoven...I dont think I have to say why. :-)

5. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'd have to say Frank Tichelli. We played "Vesuvius" for our marching show last year, and he came as a guest speaker/conductor and talked to us about it, he seemed like a very cool guy. Plus you never mentiond in the rules that you could assume the composers are still alive, so I'm just assumeing that the composer would be like he/she is today, and I'd have to say, I'd be a litle creeped out eating dinner with someone whos been dead the last century or so...

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Henry Mancini

-cw-

7. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2007
  8. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    Aaron Copeland

I don't think there is anything he wrote that didn't move me! "Billy the Kid"..."Appalachian Spring"..."Lincoln Portrait"..."Quiet City", etc. I think, as a brass player, my favorite has to be "Fanfare for the Common Man". Every time I've had the pleasure to perform this, or even hear it performed, I get chills. You all know the feeling of when you finish playing a piece like this it always feels like you've just been a part of something VERY special. After the last note has been played your heart is pounding a little harder and you kind of feel emotionally drained. To me that's great music and I thank Mr. Copeland for providing me (and others) with moments like that!!!

Butch

9. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    When I was the music critic for a newspaper I did a review/interview with Marvin Hamlisch. He was such a wonderful person. I have been blessed to know, and in some cases to have become friends with, several pretty big names in the music world. Hamlisch would be #1 on my list to eat a meal with, and build a friendship. To be honest I doubt if very much of the conversation would be about music. I would want to know the man behind the notes.

10. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    I would have to say Stravinsky, he just seems like he would be an interesting guy.