If you don't already know."Jazz Player Radio!!!"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Apr 6, 2006.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Well, I now have a favorite online radio station- Jazz Player Radio. I'm sure many of you know this station already, but if you DON'T - here's the link:

http://www.jazzplayerradio.com

These guys plays lots of Maynard, Chase the BRECKER BROTHERS (man o man - my favorite band), to Clark Terry Freddie Hubbard to Conte Candoli to obscure aritsts (hint, hint wink, wink).

I have the link on my PC's at school and I put in on in my labs in the background when the kids are working.

Hey advertisers, they have 15,000 listeners! Something to think about.

Check it out. These guys have more sauce than most of the so called air waves stations. They're playing music with serious spirit.

Peace.

Nick

2. grasshopper

grasshopper New Friend

Mar 3, 2006
    Jacksonville, florida
    Thanks for the post NickD, This is new to me. Something to listen to while on TM. Nice groove. John.

3. NickD

NickD Forte User

I've been listneing to this all am!

I've been doing a lot of grading of papers this AM. I've been listening to this station all am! Man, the stuff they're playing is fabulous, and not just for trumpet, though the there is clearly trumpet (and high notes don't hurt either).

These folks are really trying. What has been knocking me out is the fact that, in addition to playing the music of very famous heavy hitters (Freddie, Woddy, Dizzy, Clifford, Harry, Bobby...etc..) they are playing the music of far more obsucre artists - the kind of folks you have to scrounge around on the internet to find. These latter folks are just as amazing as the heavies! I am really amazing, though not household names - deep underground artists.

I can't urge you enough to check this out.

http://www.jazzplayerradio.com

I'm listening to Kenny Wheeler right now! Cool!

Later!

4. The_Lip

The_Lip Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2006
    Escondido, CA
    JPR is the bee's knees

I've been a listener since the day Jake went on the "air" with the station 2 years ago. Back then it was all Maynard, all the time. It's gradually morphed into quite the station. They're hinting at something bigger in the near future. Ray Nelson posted something about "JPR in your car" on maynardferguson.com which makes me think maybe Sirius or XM :thumbsup:

5. Mikester

Mikester New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    MI
    I too have been a listener since the start.

Make it my weekend habit of listening to interviews with the greats!

6. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    JPR

Good stuff this morning! Hoping you'll pop up Nick!

Ah ha....

Tony G

7. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Just heard your ad Nick on JPR! Tremendous....

You certainly deserve props!

Incidentally, it came on right after a version of Chase's "Get It On" that I've never heard before!!

Freaking cool!

Tony G

8. NickD

NickD Forte User

These guys are really something!

Thanks, Tony! These guys are really something, eh? I have heard more neat recordings since I've reaelly gotten into them! Jake and Kevin are really doing a great thing.

N

9. RNelson

RNelson New Friend

Apr 8, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hey guys, Ray Nelson here.

Thanks for the props on JPR and most of all, thanks for listening!

Yo Nick, we are very excited to have you on JPR. One of our original goals was to give lesser known artists a vehicle to be heard and to promote their music. I dig what I have heard of your CD!!

You are 100% correct when you point out just how good many of the lesser know cats are sounding.

Oh, about this....

Hey man, I dig the idea too, but JPR will not be on XM or Sirius any time soon! But at the rate we are growing, prerhaps someday..... :-)

Thanks again for tuning in guys!

Ray
    www.raynelson.net

10. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    It's a pleasure to have you Ray, I enjoy your playing!

Welcome....

Tony G