If you don't already know."Jazz Player Radio!!!"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Apr 6, 2006.

1. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Thanks for the tip... just watched the video of wynton & wycliffe Gordon duetting out of their hotel room windows. Crazy stuff!

2. NickD

NickD Forte User

Yesterdays

I was listening during my lab class today. JPR played the old MF recording on Yesterdays. That is nothing short of astonishing. Sure it's a high note tune, but MF was in his stone cold prime. The end of that he plays with a clarity, power and precision rivialing a violinist. Maynrd's tone in the double C range has the same center as down around high C. That's what made him so amazing back then.

What is equally amazing is someone playng this on online radio.

I wish Jake, Ray and Kecin would come to Chicago and open a small FM station dedicated to playing this same sort of programming via RF. Since we are loosing our big NPR support for jazz in Chicago, jazz enthusiasts are freaking out. The hue and cry is pretty big. I kinda wish I could see how to open a FM station. If I could sort out supporting my family doing that, I'd almost go for it!

In any case, it was sure nice hearing the good ol' MF track!

Nick

3. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Totally off topic, I like the Avatar. "Nice!" Long time since I saw the fast show. Mind you, there's not much opportunity in Tenerife!

4. MrLT

MrLT Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    Manchester UK
    Ain't jazz Brilliant? and all those trumpet players. If i had a trumpet i'd play jazz on it....or something. BRILLIANT!!!!

(note - the above comment is only meant to be appreciated by a small minority of UK based posters. The rest of you don't worry if you don't get it - its really not important)

5. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I've been digging on JPR for a few days now, since I noticed it on this thread. What a great radio station. Yesterday it quit working on my computer here at school. When I click on the broadband button, nothing happens. When I try to use Realplayer it says it needs to download some files. Then it trys to download and fails. When I try to use iTunes nothing happens. It stlll works fine on my computer at home. Any ideas?

Mike

6. Jake Sommers

Jake Sommers New Friend

Apr 11, 2006
    Columbus. Ohio
    Hey Mike,

Thanks for listening! Try turning off the pop up blocker if you have one.

Jake

7. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Smoky club? Stained tie. Valves not working properly? Where's the drummer? mumble mumble rather drunk actually...mumble New tune from the Gino Dominola pizza sextet... NICE!

8. JoeCool

JoeCool New Friend

Dec 9, 2003
    Austin, TX
    It's on my desk top at work all the time. Kudos to Jake and Ray and anyone else who is involved. No more Jonesing for good trumpet playing.

9. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Re: If you don't already know."Jazz Player Radio!!!&quo

See, Nick, this is why I don't care so much about WBEZ dropping music programming. My thought is, who needs them? In the modern world there are many alternatives (on my iTunes radio there are 37 different jazz stations, including one, McVooty radio, which is all Slim Gaillard, all the time!) I'll check out jazz player radio, sounds fabulous.

Michael McLaughlin

10. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Re: If you don't already know."Jazz Player Radio!!!&amp

See, Nick, this is why I don't care so much about WBEZ dropping music programming. My thought is, who needs them? In the modern world there are many alternatives (on my iTunes radio there are 37 different jazz stations, including one, McVooty radio, which is all Slim Gaillard, all the time!) I'll check out jazz player radio, sounds fabulous.

Michael McLaughlin[/quote]

I've hooked it up and the first thing I hear:Roy Eldridge from Montreuz '77, which I just got a DVD of. With Oscar and NHOP, Roy plays his ass off in a green checked jacket.

Thanks for the tip.

Michael McLaughlin

"The present day artist refuses to die!" Varese