If you had to choose one CD...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sonicgeo2, May 3, 2009.

1. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

If you were stranded on a desert island and had to choose one CD to bring along, what would it be?:huh:
    Personally, I would go with "The Antiphonal Music of Gabrieli." It is a CD that is made up of the brass sections of the Philadelphia, Cleveland, and Chicago Symphonies from the 1950s and 60s. If you haven't heard this CD, you NEED to give it a listen. Just starting some conversation. I really enjoying listening to great brass (especially trumpet), so I wanted to see what the rest of you TMers enjoy listening to. Thanks!
    Amazon.com: The Antiphonal Music of Gabrieli & Frescobaldi: MP3 Downloads: The Cleveland Brass Ensemble, The Chicago Brass Ensemble, E. Power Biggs The Philadelphia Brass Ensemble

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would rather do without than have to take only one CD. The music I love most is not suitable for playing until I get sick of it.

3. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    You don't have to listen to your favorites all the time Robin.
    Small doses when you are sick of looking at the coconuts will do.

My music would be from Edvard Grieg's "Peer Gynt".
    Nice music, not much trumpetting,

[​IMG]

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Dizzy Gillespie and The UNO; Live At The Royal Festival Hall! It has been my favourite album for almost twenty years, and I never get tired of it.

[​IMG]

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Visions of the Emerald Beyond by John Mclaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I would rather take an IPod... ROFL

7. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    I don't think it's currently available on CD, but my LP has since been copied to to disc.

[​IMG]

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    stranded on an island, I would prefer investing in my future - making a coconut tree alphorn or something so that I could blow for help. I would even promote embouchure "pressure" and "fast air" if I were able to make louder noises and get noticed by an airplane or ship. I'll bet there is quite a bit of optimization possible when LOUD is the only parameter. If I had no chance of getting rescued, I would need to make some bananaleaf paper and write down everything that I know.

Nope, no favorite albums (like the Real Group album "Stämning" or Heavy Metal / Stockholm Chamber Brass) to distract me from survival.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan

I originally got this one back when it came out in the Reel to Reel format. Top notch all the way except the reverb from the recording locale was a bit distracting to my ears. I have since got an LP.

Personally, I would take a good recording of Pictures at an Exhibition, one of my favorite "semi-classical" pieces for over 40 yrs. This compilation of the Gabrielli has additions of the Boston Brass Ensemble and Biggs which were not on the 1960 recording.

10. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Hah!

Your plan would never work.

Coconut tree alphorn benders are very rare on deserted islands,
    embouchure pressure destroys the chops, fast air is just a myth,
    and LOUD is not possible without perfect chops.

Writing materials are not available, you have to write in the sand,
    and everybody knows what that means...

No music to listen to, except from the annoying mythed song
    from Titanic's wreckage that appears in the head....:shock:

My plan is better :woop: