If you had to pick between two

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Niner, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Niner

Niner Forte User

Sep 6, 2011
    Alabama
    If you had to pick between two horns of about equal condition and about the exact same price. One an Olds Recording from late 60's and the other a Selmer K Modified Paris light weight. Which would be more valuable as a collector piece? Which better as a horn? Why do you think?

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I would go for the Olds but that is just me.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I'd pick the one that plays better.

If you're worried about which is more collectible, then you're looking at the wrong thing, in my opinion.

Tom

4. Niner

Niner Forte User

Sep 6, 2011
    Alabama
    What if the Recording was nickle silver instead of brass? Worth less in desirable status?

I know...I'm screwing up my own question...but whatever finish still holds for the original question.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Although I do not have a K modified, I have several Selmers from 1947 to 2000 and a 1958 Olds recording. They are different horns to play, I prefer the Selmers, the Olds does not get played often, all are good horns. In terms of collectability neither are particularly rare if raritry is what you are after. The Olds French model is probably more desirable as a collectable.

If you are looking for a player, try before you buy and see which you prefer. If I was limited to 1 horn either would satisfy me.

Regards, Stuart.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Neither horn will ever make you rich ..monetarily.
    I haven't ever played the Selmer ... the the Recording I tried was a pretty big dark horn ... I love how they look too. Personally, I liked my Connstellation more than the Recording, which can be found for half the price of that Olds.
    Is there any reason you are singling out just these two instruments?

7. retro23

retro23 Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Andalucia Spain
    Although the Recording seems more of a value.. unless I was just collecting I would buy the horn that played best for me.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Gotta agree, Dave's sound on that Connstllation is better than anything I've been able to get out of my Recording... But then again, I am betting that Dave's sound out of my Recording would be better than anything I could get out of my Recording.

As for which horn to choose... the one that works best for you... THAT is where the true value is.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  9. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I have both. My Selmer is tighter and a little more focused and short throw valves. My Olds is bigger with a warmer sound. I've played both in big bands, solo church settings and brass quintets. Both are nice horns.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Buy them both then you only have to worry about your bank account and wife.