If you had to start all over again, what advice would you give yourself?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Beachmystic, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Beachmystic

Beachmystic New Friend

Dec 28, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I would like to introduce myself to your forums, call me Beach. I have been playing trumpet now for two days. A friend gave me a used CONN student trumpet for Christmas as I expressed interest in playing the trumpet. I have played guitar for over 30 years, although just for fun, I am self taught and never took formal lessons. I often regretted not learning to read music well, or develop a firm grasp of music theory.
    I wish to make a fresh start with the trumpet. Although I am 42 years old, I would like to learn the instrument properly, and am willing to work hard and take lessons, etc. I would like to ask the community here at TM if they were starting over as I am, what if any advice would you give yourself? Any pitfalls I could avoid would be most helpful.
    I would like to thank you in advance for your time an consideration.

Beach

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I would get a good teacher and do what he/she says. don't worry about playing high notes, that will come later after you learn proper breath control and other basics.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    As you already a have a body of musical knowledge much of your learning will be comparative - that's good - that's the way adults tend to learn.

Many here at TM, including me, will INSIST that you get a good teacher. But do yourself and the teacher a favour, NEVER turn up without preparation - either what has been suggested the previous lesson or something you specifically want to address - perhaps an awkward phrase.

I always prepare questions and write them down for my lesson, and occasionally that means that I have lessons where the trumpet doesn't get on my face - I think that is acceptable.

Have fun, and join a band as soon as you can (a local Concert Band would be ideal). The teacher and the band will really really help.

4. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    If I were starting again, I would tell myself to get a teacher and get serious sooner. Getting a qualified teacher has helped me immensely in the 6 months I've been studying with them.

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Ditto with the getting a teacher and getting serious.

I would add don't take advice from trumpet forums (only half kidding!). :)

6. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    This is kind of true. Sometimes you're your own best teacher, and you will know better than some people on the Internet who might be a little out of touch with your situation. It's a question of knowing when they're right. :lol:

7. y-o-y

y-o-y Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2009
    Long Beach, CA
    For me personally, I would advise myself to focus on learning to play the instrument properly. I know that sounds silly, but playing the horn through HS and college (as a non-music or performance major) I focused too much on performances and ensembles, and not enough on being a good trumpet player.

8. dani021

dani021 Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Sweden
    1) Patiance..
    2) don't worry about high notes..
    3) try to enlighten the good things about your playing everytime you practice. otherwise you'll get insane and loose confidence!
    4) enjoy!

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    One thing that held me back (I think) was that my lessons were too hard for me. I didn't tell the teacher and we plowed through them. I would have practiced more if we went with things that I could figure out and do a better job with. Not less material just a little more at my level.

10. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm posting this so I will get updated on this thread as I am also a musician from a young age that has started playing trumpet this year.