If you had to start all over again, what advice would you give yourself?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Beachmystic, Dec 29, 2009.

1. genegene63

genegene63 New Friend

Dec 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Definitely get a teacher. I would've passed my audition for the USAF Band if I had a teacher to guide me... of course, my life would've turned out a whole lot different. Maybe, it was good I didn't pass the audition. "You can't keep moving forward if you're always looking behind." Good Luck, Gene

2. 4wdtrumpet

4wdtrumpet New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    Melbourne, AU
    Play something easier... like piano

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Less pressure...No matter what

4. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Maybe it's just because I just came back from jujutsu, but that makes me think of aikido. Hmmm, aiki concepts for playing trumpet - there might actually be some parallels there.

5. StoporIlltoot!

StoporIlltoot! New Friend

Jan 7, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Here's a few things I don't recall being mentioned in the thread that made a big impact on me:

1) You probably already have a nice home entertainment/stereo system. Take a Saturday and head down to a used CD store where you can sample music before buying. Spend the day listening to trumpet players of all genres, and pick out a few that you enjoy. Turn off the idiot box at home and put on the music - relax, soak it in, be inspired. The objective here is not necessarily to seek out a sound to emulate, but to stoke that fire within your soul to to commit yourself to this endeavor.

2) Find out when and where trumpet is being performed in your area, and make sure to be there. The recordings are great, but nothing beats a live performance. You'll be surprised how many performances are free, and most of them are a great place to take a ladyfriend. If you get a chance, introduce yourself to players. Thank them for the performance & tell them you just started playing. I did this many, many times and always made a positive connection. They almost always remembered my name if I saw them later. There were even a couple of times I was invited to perform with them. Networking is important, regardless of your goals.

3) This one will start to tie in to Number 2...surround yourself with the best trumpet players as you possibly can. Caesar said "I would rather be first in a small village in Gaul than second in command in Rome," but I feel this is the wrong attitude for a developing trumpet player to have. Looking back, I learned alot more in organizations where I was 2nd or 3rd chair (or lower!) than those where I was principal. It may not stroke the ego as much, but it will raise your personal standards and keep you "on your toes." Horse breeders agree with this sentiment, and keep their strongest runners in seperate tracks and stables than the slowpokes.

Everybody is going tell you to find a good teacher, practice, and subject yourself to all the grueling aspects of becoming a good trumpet player. Certainly do these things...but alot of playing this instrument is in your head - work on that, too.

6. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Hi Beach, It looks like yu're doing just what iyu need to do to get started with the trumpet. There is a lot of good advise here but I want to comment about hte 300 pound gorilla standing next to you.

Let me preface this with I suse to be a fair player in HS and college, nothing great but I could holdmy own. I've picked up my horn again after several years and thought I do it right, get some instruction and take it at their pace. As I started to look for teachers I got the strangest (not that trumpeters are normal) group given to me to call. After picking one I worked with him for a few months I found out that everythng I had been tought before was incorrect. I started researching what he was saying and found him to be correct. But, as I asked for more detail he couldn't show me or convey his thoughts in a way I could grasp. I would try what I thought he wanted me to do for about 4 days and then would become so discusted I'd lay off until the next lesson. I almost quit for good.

Here is we are in sync, I started to us Trulmper Master and Trumpet Herold to get advise. I found some very good materl on line that really got me going for about the price of couple of lessons. The one I chose has some simple instructions, exercises and a cd that I can play along with to make sure I'm doing it right.

My point to all of this is that all "teachers' are not the same. If you don't understand someone or you're not getting where you thing you want to be, find someone else, it's your time and money on the line. Make sure you are having fun with this.

As you progress you may try the Music Mihus One series also. It's a cd and music that lets you hear what your part sounds like and theen yu can play along.

You're doing great!! Keep being an informed consumer, now quit reading all of this crap, go practice and have FUN!!