If you own a Calicchio - I want to put your name in the book

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Larry Gianni, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi everyone,

If you read my posts before, John Duda has the original registration book that Dominic started in 1947.

It lists , by serial number, Maynard's Calicchio, Gozzo's Calicchio , Walt Johnson's Calicchio, Jerry Hey and Gary Grant's Calicchio, Charlie Davis's Calicchio, Jerry Callet's Calicchio , Chuck Findley's Calicchio,

Maurice Andre's Calicchio - Well , maybe not that one, it prabably listed under his alias - Lester " who's your daddy " Spittlebaulm

In all seriousness, , the offical little book, started in Dominic's own hand writing, probably does not have your Calicchio registered in it to you.

When Chris and Irma started to sell to retail store , in the 80's at some time, there was no way to find out who the end user was anymore, just the one's that were sold directly out of the shop got into the official log.

John and I both think it's important to know and re-register the Calichhio's out there and get to know the clientele more personally.

If you have a Calicchio. send me a personal e-mail to [email protected]
    with your name , town , country , serial number and any comments you may have. ( and if your in college, a picture of your girlfriend ) or suggestions. John Duda is one of the most open minded guys out there.

Eventually, John was thinking of sending everyone something like a " Bach Shop Card " type thing and putting pictures of the players and their trumpes on the website. If someone will write back to me, personally, and tell how to do that, I'll do it myself ( as you probably already reliaze, along with not knowing how to spell, I have no life )

If you go to www.calicchio.com , you'll see there's a player section that was meant for this reason, but John has his hands full just moving the factory and getting all the wheels turning in the same direction again, so I said I'd help.

Listen, the player section is for owners and player of Calicchio's.
    doesn't matter to me ( or John, DAve or Bill ) if your a first call session player so in demand that private jets pick you up for work and take you to exotic lands to ply for Sultan's or you just got the hang of a " eb scale " and am proud of it. A calichio player is a calichio player -

OK, everyone lets hold hands and sign " Kumbaya " - I'm tearing up as I type.

Give it to me, baby

Larry

Hey TM, if want to put this offer anywhere else on the site so more players see it, please feel free to do so. And if I ever get a picture of you TM , I'll make sure you get on the Calicchio site , with or without your" Official TM Calicchio " C " trumpet " in hand.

Fellas ( and ladies ), this is for real, no strings attached. Get your mug on the site and you can show your kids the picture of you on the web and explain that's why Daddy makes all that noise in the other room when your trying to sleep.

2. Miravalle

Miravalle New Friend

Dec 5, 2003
    Great commentary and tips, Larry!

Dear Larry,

I'm new to the forum and to your particular columns, but am amazed at your knowledge of horns and their workings! Your pieces show an extraordinary grasp of the philosophy and praxis of the horn, coupled with an impressive diagnostic and practical savvy of application and advice.

You can't know what a service it is to musicians, pro, semi-pro, "re-verts" and amateurs, to have someone like you take the time to fine tune our performance on all perspective levels of playing.

I also want to thank Calicchio for putting experts like yourself at the service of the "little player". That's smart business. Bravo, Calicchio!

Keep up the great work, wit, and horn scoops!

Mark, Hopedale, Ohio

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I learn something every time I read one of Larry's posts. I am very happy to have him on here! :)

TM

4. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Wow,

I'll definitly have to un-do all the buttons on my tuxedo shirt to get it over my head tonight.

Thanks you very much, both of you, for your kind words. In all humility, I really don't deserve anything close to that kind of accolade.

With my inevitable communicative writng syle of numerous run-on sentences and the perpetual spelling errors, your kind words really do make me think that maybe some of the stuff that seems to stick in my head, might be worth knowing and sharing.

Thank you again, NOW GO PRACTICE.

Larry Gianni ( warts and all )

" The more I practice, the luckier I get " - Lee Travino

5. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi

I'm a little disappointed with the response I'm getting to getting your name officially register at Calicchio. As of now, just one guy has sent in the info.

Here's what we need

Name
    City
    Serial number
    Year Purchased

That's it. Even an guy playing a Monette could handle that.

If Jerry Hey, Gary Grant, Maynard, Chuck Findley , Charlie Davis and Conrad Gozzo plus yours truly doesn't mind having their name in the the official " Dominic log " then why should you,

You realize Dominic started number trumpets in 1947 at 1000 and some 55 years later Calicchio has just broken 7000, with 900 never numbered ( one guy in the shop numbering casings went 3097, 3098, 3099, 4000, 4001, 4002 )

OPPS!!! - Dominic saw no harm leaving it that way. " Itsa only a number " he said.

Do the math - Thats 5100 trumpets in 55 years - less than a 100 average per year.

Be part of history. Don't worry , this is no IRS sting operation, it's only about heritage and it's preservation.

Even if you bought it used and sold it after 6 months we would really like to know. Both the original buyer and the next or next or next owner should send me or [email protected] the info.

Larry

6. rikrdo

rikrdo New Friend

Mar 9, 2004
    Sunny So Cal
    Hello Larry,

Rick Browning
    Yucaipa CA
    3061 (1S2)
    YR: 1983

Now here is my challenge to you. I am a "comeback "player ; ready to sell my horn, unless I can come up with a mouthpiece that works for me. I'm not looking to become the next MF but I would like your opinion on some pieces that may help me make this tough decision. I want your input on some that may work better than others on the Calicchio's. I like my Zottola 64B the best with this horn, but still not in love with the results. HELP ME PLEASE.... Thanks

7. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Well, let see if I can help at all. Whatever I come up with, you still have to make the decision for yourself. If you don't like your Calicchio, by all means sell it and get a trumpet that you do like, whatever your mouthpiece is. The right mouthpiece may not be the answer in keeping or selling any brand trumpet.

OK, here goes

I did look up the Zottola 64B to get a feel of what you’re using now. Zottola is not very popular out here so I have to go on what’s the description is on the Zottola site: Here it is-

"MODEL CUP SIZE CUP DEPTH

64B MEDIUM MEDIUM

We have determined this model to be the center of sound; the perfect balance of cup diameter and cup depth. This masterpiece is the choice of professionals all over the world."

Now lets go to a mouthpiece comparison chart – I really like Dr. Fox’s chart for this because it gives you the approximate inner diameter that your looking for and has all the links available to the manufacerurs site at the left of the columns. But like any chart, it's up to interpretation and based on manufacterurs measurements which are not all taken exactly the same, but it's a start.

http://www.ibowtie.com/tmptmpccharts.html

So, without any other information from you about what you like or don’t like about the mouthpiece you’re using, we have a rough idea of it measurements.

Now, if you would like a more brilliant sound, more sizzle easier upper register, than the Reeves 41s/ 692 or 69 would be my choice. A Reeves M cup would probably similar to what you have.

The chart says a Purviance 10 ( the old 6*3 ) lists as slightly bigger. It’s the Johnny Audino model with a 43n rim and a ' es' cup with a purviance backbore. To me, a 41 rim to a 43 rim is a huge jump, but with the 43n rim feel, it might feel smaller.

A Warburton 6s or 6sv with a KT8 backbore may get you closer to what your looking for (to tell you the truth, from what you wrote, I really don’t know what your looking for) or the new Warburton Q backbore. I have one and it plays real nice.

Joe M’s pieces, especially the signature line, always seem to get a heavy sizzle to the sound. I’ve been given the Cacia, Ingram, Shew, Vizzutti and O’Donnell, Eric M piece over the years and I’d suggest the O’Donnell piece to be closest to the Zottola you have, but with a tighter backbore and shallower cup. The good thing about Joe's pieces are they are not to expensive so trying thme out won;t break the bank.

I’m not familiar with the Wick pieces so I won’t comment on them. I do like the Stork Studio master series and would suggest you try a SM 6 series in a LT or LX cup and backbore. Being slightly shorter (ala Bud Brisbois piece) they tend to respond quickly and have a good “sizzle “to the sound. Lin Bivianno plays a Stork.

Greg Black has made a couple of pieces for me and I think he is excellent. Not only is he a super nice guy (with the patience of a “Mother Theresa “ ) when he was dealing with my idioscrincces, but his quality and workmanship is impeccable.

Mark Curry is another mouthpiece maker I like and admire. I know Mark personally and he is truly a conscientious man (plus a really fine trumpet player in his ownright) and a talented mouthpiece maker. Going to his chart, it looks like an 8.5 DE would be along the lines of something that might work. Also, a Laksey 40s* would be in the ballpark if you want a more commercial sound (or a 40M )

Back to my first choice – a Reeves 41 series piece. Both Gary Grant and John Thomas ( along with others in town ) play a Reeves 41 rim so you’d be in good company with that one.

If you went with a Schilke , around a 10 ,try one with a A or B cup . They seem to make a Calicchio respond the best for commercial sounds. Maybe a 10a4a or a 10 a4c. Karl Hammond is another fine mouthpiece maker from Schilke. He is really top notch in the feild.

Again, taking mouthpiece advice from anyone over the internet is somewhat fool hardy. First, ask yourself these questions.

What type of playing am I going to do the most with my Calicchio and XX

Do I need to cut thru a section most of the time or blend in?

Do I play mainly in big rooms or rehearsal halls?

Who would I most like to sound like if I could?

Do I pivot when I play higher or is my bite stay pretty much the same?

Do I need a mouthpiece to help with attacks or “security “when I play?

Does the trumpet feel too big at times or “stuffy “at times after I play for a few hours?

Well, these types of questions can go on and on, so I’ll stop here.

The more I write this, the more I feel I’m not really answering your question very well. Just too many variables with too little information from your post for me to feel comfortable in any of this stuff I'm rattling off.

If you want, PM me and give me a phone number and I’ll give you a call and see if I can help more succinctly.

Doing this over the net is probably the "worst way" to get advice on a mouthpiece. All my speculations“are open to a lot of interpretation both on my part and yours so I’d hate to send you on any “mouthpiece safari “if I can help it.

Larry