If you were me, would you?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Thunderchicken, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Thunderchicken

Thunderchicken New Friend

Jan 14, 2005
    Rosemount, MN
    Help me out, folks...

I recently bought a used Kanstul Custom Piccolo trumpet. (Great horn; great price!) I do miss the pinky ring and after a call to the good folks at Kanstul, they can install one just like on the 1520 model very reasonably. While it's at the factory, I am considering having them install the 4th valve trill crook and 1st valve trigger, also ala the Signature piccolo. What do you people with more experience think? Are the crook and the trigger useful tools to make good music? Or are they "bells and whistles" which only complicate matters?

Thanks in advance for the benefit ofvyour wisdom!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    For me, the question is not so much whether or not they are necessary, the question is do I want them and am I willing to part with the cash to have them. If the answer is 'yes', go ahead and have them installed and don't think twice about it.

You don't 'need' the options - the trumpet already has everything you actually need to make music, but I think that having those other things would be very nice - the trigger would certainly be beneficial on a horn that small to help deal with some minor intonation issues.

Here is a question: by the time all is said and done installing all of these things on a Custom Class pic, how much will you have spent? Will it have taken your total up to the level of the Signature series pic? If so, why not just trade up? If not and you are willing to part with the cash, I say to go for it.

3. mototrmpt

mototrmpt New Friend

Jun 13, 2004
    I have a Kanstul Signature Pic which I picked up used in excellent condition. It has the first slide trigger, but it seems to stick quite often and doesn't seem to be as smooth as I would have expected. Since I don't play pic that much I haven't honed my skills enough to "Need" the first slide trigger and I haven't found a burning desire to get it working better or have it looked at. Anyone else have this problem? With that said and based on how poorly my 1st slide trigger works, I would advise to pass on the trigger.

My $0.02, Lance