Ignorant High School Trumpet Player needs help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NotAJock2Day, Oct 9, 2008.

1. mr jazz

mr jazz New Friend

Jun 9, 2008
    man, your director is a total softie. ours would have just straight up given the position to the better player and told the girl to accept it.

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Let her be President, then when she doesn't do the work, you can step in an do it for her. It sounds to me like you are doing both jobs right now,

With her as president, YOU GET THE SOLO you so badly desire.

You do the same work you are doing now, but you get what you want. The band still gets your work as a leader/president because you would not be selfish enough to just stop working because the title went away.

I'll say it again -- The greater good of many must always be more important than the good and glory of the individual. Do whatever you need to do to make it happen so that everyone in the band is better off tomorrow than they are today.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I suspect that there won't be much that anyone here can really say to you to make you feel better. Right now, it sucks that you want to play a solo in Carnegie Hall (that you are arguably better prepared/qualified to perform) but someone else is going to. The fact that you feel you've been the silent champion this year as well doesn't help, but it doesn't change things too much.

Life is not fair, but it takes confidence to step up and say something about it, so speaking with your director and expressing your concerns is the best thing to do. It probably won't change things, but karma is a funny thing. Stand up for yourself now with something small (and in 20 years you'll look back and agree that this is small) and you'll be much better off in the long run.

4. Bonasa

Bonasa Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2008
    Western New York
    Deamer's right that life is often not fair and that Karma might rectify your director's wrong in the long haul. Move on. Get over it. Let's face it, there are many selfless, professional, and dedicated music teachers and band directors working today, and there is a small minority of dolts: it sounds like, unfortunately, you may have encountered one of the latter. It happens, sadly.

The notions that accolades and leadership positions must be awarded on anything other than merit and democracy, respectively, and divvying them up in some pathetic attempt to bolster self-esteem might somehow contribute toward the greater good of all is a sad reflection on a teacher who either doesn't care or is too lazy or incompetent to do things right. Is he so naive or ignorant as to actually believe that high schoolers don't recognize and respect true achievment? Bestowing an undeserved title on someone in the hope of assuaging their ego is a recipe for reinforcing mediocrity and sowing dissillusionment and cynicism among those who witness it. If you want high school students to act like adults, treat them like adults. Sure, it's hard to console a crying teenage girl and tell her she lost the vote of her peers to serve as band president; it's likewise hard to tell her that someone else plays and leads better than she and therefore deserves the sectional lead chair; it's likewise hard to explain these decisions to parents and administrators. But that's any good band director's job. Perhaps the most lasting benefit this experience could provide would be this: if you should pursue music education as a career (and it sounds like you're a serious enough musician that this is a distinct possibility), vow to yourself that you'll never treat your students as you've been treated.

5. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I hate to be cynical, but I wonder how much of one side of this story we have heard compared to hearing the entire story? I think that if this young person had gone to the director and had a talk with him, and gotten any satisfaction at all, that we would have heard about it by now.

tfresh1 likes this.
  6. tfresh1

tfresh1 New Friend

Jun 23, 2008
    Portland, OR
    It's quite possible that there are other factors playing into the equation that you may not be aware of, too. Just keep doing your job to the best of your ability...both as a musician and in service to your band.

If you decide to talk to your director about it, be sure it is in private and approached in a respectful and non-confrontational way. Maybe you could ask him about his decision in terms of leadership development. You really respect him as a leader and you want to better understand his decision in case you are ever placed in a similar position and need to make a decision like this. It's not butt-kissing...it's true. You do want to know why he made that decision.

7. Leadtrumpetgirl

Leadtrumpetgirl New Friend

Feb 9, 2007
    southern California
    ~~~~Ignorant High School Trumpet Player needs help!

So much for the soft bigotry of affirmative action!! That's life. You did say that your duty as president is to be what the band needs you to be. Apparently they need a section leader in the trumpet section. That's you, until you leave, regardless of what titles you want or earn....All my playing life, I have been saddled with the responsibility of a section leader in bands full of adults. Even when I play 3rd chair, I coach the lead players. Its called teamwork (I know you say you're not a jock).....having the ability to lead does not mean you have to be first in everything. That can be exhausting! The best leadership example is to show lesser players how they, too, are very important! 3rd & 4th chair players have to play louder than the first chair, just to be heard in any chord - that's important! I say, Give her a solo that is ok to do with a couple of mistakes.

This is a very important tribute composition. If the appointed player cannot hack the Elegy solo, tell the director that YOU want to do it from the stage & you can still cover the other parts needed. This solo trumpet statement is one that should not be screwed up, or done with a faint heart. It is pretty simple, but YOU have to put the soul into it, within the given notes.....OFFSTAGE?! Nah, there is no set rule. I played this chart, I performed the solo onstage, successfully, with no problem...Later, under the direction of Frank Ticheli himself. I asked, he doesn't NEED the soloist to be offstage, he just wants that unseen player using his horn to mourn the great loss at Columbine. The distance (from offstage) was meant to illustrate hope & clarity, looking to the future. It must be sweet, clear & expressive. Its not a fanfare, certainly not taps. This a solo that you seek no applause for (remain seated). You should not stand for any classical solo, unless it is a real trumpet feature, arranged around you.

BEST OF LUCK!!

8. RX-2Fan

RX-2Fan Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Tampa FL
    Dont take it too hard. i was in a similar situation. my friend got the solo to house of the rising sun when i could do it 3 times better than he could. but the opportunity has made him a better player. now in your position i would talk to the director and say " hey she cant do it, we as a group have too much invested in this concert"(cause 13 grand is alot) and if he doesnt take the bate help her out. if that dont work convince him to get the groups opinion on who does it better wether it be a vote or whatever works for him to see his mistakes and fix them. just know the solo and be ready.

9. RX-2Fan

RX-2Fan Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Tampa FL
    didnt read enough. i dont know what to say..... well its senior year, youve had a good run. if the solo is at the last concert just play it better than it is written. I really dont suggest it unless your tired of the same. I always say go out in style. so here is what im saying, if your not desperate enough to do what i said, this isnt driving you crazy. if you love being there which from what i can tell you do talk to the director and give him an alternatum( dont think that is spelled right) either "she keeps the solo and you all have a bad time or he/she gives you the solo and he/she has breaks someones fellings"

what do you think?

10. RX-2Fan

RX-2Fan Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Tampa FL
    Dont take it too hard. i was in a similar situation. my friend got the solo to house of the rising sun when i could do it 3 times better than he could. but the opportunity has made him a better player. now in your position i would talk to the director and say " hey she cant do it, we as a group have too much invested in this concert"(cause 13 grand is alot) and if he doesnt take the bate help her out. if that dont work convince him to get the groups opinion on who does it better wether it be a vote or whatever works for him to see his mistakes and fix them. just know the solo and be ready.