Ignorant High School Trumpet Player needs help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NotAJock2Day, Oct 9, 2008.

1. DavidLarson

DavidLarson New Friend

Sep 23, 2008
    North Vancouver, Canada
    I aree with most of what I have seen here- the world is not necessarily fair. deal with it- do your best, for yourself and the others around you. Be prepared to play the solo if something happens to the other player. Support everyone like you are doing. They all know what you have done, and are doing for the group. Speak to the director, and try and find out why it is happening, in a respectful way.
    I remember a poster on a Shoreline High School (Seattle area):
    1) The conductor is always right.
    2) If the conductor makes a mistake, refer to statement 1.

This is the same school that had a poster about- if this band wins this, that, and the other thing, it doesn't matter a hoot unless all the players have grown musically, emotionally, mentally... I don't remember all the exact words after so many years, but the spirit was so great- That school was a wonderful place to visit, even if only for a day.

2. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Well, the main question is:
    Is she pretty ???
    If she is, try to get the best from her -you know-, then forget everything about this issue.
    You'll remember for the rest of your life ;)

Do your job. Be serious and responsible and, if you don't get what you deserve, CLAIM FOR IT !!!

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The advice from Wilcox 96 and gglassmeyer is very good. It is a shame that the girl hasn't stepped up to the oppertunity. you do need to talk to someone and let them know how you feel. possibly the Director. Remember be nice respecful and courtious. these are virtues. Don't whine. You can't keep it bottled up, it will just eat away at you. Its your last year and you will be moving on at the end of it. keep doing the good work, your heart is in the right place. you have to let your feelings about the girl go. this is seperate from your feelings about the situation concerning the SL. Do you have another adult you feel comfortable talking to that gives good advice and is a good listener.

Bob Grier

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Is she pretty? You have got to be kidding. So ugly people aren't worthy?

Bob G

5. NotAJock2Day

NotAJock2Day New Friend

May 29, 2008
    I totally forgot about this topic.

For those of you that are curious I talked to my instructor. I asked him what the justification was for awarding her the title, especially since she has been neglecting her responsibilities. He acknowledged that I'm a better player and that I'm doing all of the work, but her parents are pushy. If she was taken out of that position there would be hell to pay, so he made us both section leader now, or co-section leaders. It's kind of a cop out, but I understand his position. She has a lot of resentment towards me now, but hey, she did most of it to herself.

I don't mind sharing the spotlight, I just wanted some sort of justice. She's still playing that solo, which is whatever- it still sounds like ass. Good thing she'll be off stage. (harsh, I know) I took the solos in Symphonic Dance no.3 (Clifton Williams) and assigned a junior the short solo passages in Bali (Michael Colgrass), so no drama in terms of me suddenly taking over or anything. For our Wind Ensemble we're going to do Carnival of Venice and I'm playing it, so, depending on my ability to play it, that'll be retribution. :)

Thanks for all the help.