I'll be Bach... and Neruda

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Manny Laureano, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Gentles All,

I got back last night from Rochester, Minnesota last night after a couple of successful shows with the Rochester Orchestra whose music director is an old friend and recovered trombonist, Jere Lantz.

The program was the 2nd Brandenburg Concerto of Bach in which I played, his 3rd Suite which was played by the resident trumpeters of that orchestra, Dave Wall, Jerry Paulson, and Chris Jankowski, Neruda's concerto in Eb, and the Military Symphony of Haydn(101) which features that famous second trumpet solo reminiscent of the Mahler 5th opening.

We had a rehearsal the night before and two shows yesterday at 2pm and 7:30 and they went well so, I was happy with them.

I can say this about performing the Brandenburg: if you have to play it and you are a member of a symphony orchestra you really have to take the week before off to prepare. I think that if it went well at all it's because of two things: having the week off to be able to do nothing but play piccolo and Eb all day long for a week and having an assistant play the little repeated notes in the Bach. That's how Herseth, Vacchiano, Voisin, and many other trumpeters in history have done it so I finally did it that way and was glad to have Dave Wall's help.

Rohester is where the Mayo Clinic is located and I got the chefs tour of the Mayo, courtesy of Chris who is an anesthesiologist. If you ever have the occasion to be in Rochester and can tour the Mayo it is well worth the time. Fascinating, historical place, that. I also got one of the best Indian meals I've had in a very long time at a place nearby. I wished I wasn't playing a solo so I could eat with more abandon! It was delicious. Thanks, Chris.

I also had the distinct pleasure of meeting and having yet another meal(!) with poster Gzent, his lovely wife who is a jazz vocalist, and another trumpet playing friend of theirs. Yes, it did feel like all I did was sleep, eat, and play trumpet... you got a problem with that?

I was very happy with taken so many people were with the Neruda concerto as many of them had never heard it. It''s a piece that strongly encourage those of you who don't know it to get a copy of. It lacks the pyrotechnical flash of other concerti that we have to play but the case you have to make for it is all about phrasing and that's a good thing for us to all work on. The lines you have to create are challenging because you really have to think of phrasing from A to B. Otherwise, it would be a fairly dull piece without serious consideration of pacing and line. Tarr and Hickman each have editions you can get.

Well, anyway, back to work... now, how do you hold a C trumpet again... ?

ML

2. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    :shock:

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- Glad all went well and glad to have you back on! I love the Neruda. I did it on my grad recital some years ago. Your comments make me want to get it out and work on it again. It must be very gratifying to perform that with an orchestra.

Like Romey, I'd also be interested to know the type of picc you used for Bach.

4. Robert1

Robert1 New Friend

Feb 8, 2005
    Regarding Brandenburg, I just have to mention a fabulous week of trumpet playing involving that piece, which I witnessed back in summer of 1991. The trumpet player was (of course), Manny Laureano. On a particular Tuesday evening, I saw him perform Brandenburg Concerto in the evening at Orchestra Hall. It was effortless and beautiful, with a wonderful articulative style. Then, on the next Thursday morning, for an 11am concert, Manny was the featured soloist--performing three opera arias. I cannot remember the first two (maybe one of them was Che Galida Manina from La Boheme), but the last one was Nessun Dorma, from Turandot. The piece has the big climax near the end, with a nice high B on C trumpet, and resolves on an "A." (Where the tenor is finished singing). Then I saw Manny raise his horn and join the orchestra as the piece was concluding, capping it off with a beautiful and vibrant high concert D at the very end. The audience wouldn't let him go, so for an encore, they played the entire piece AGAIN!

After intermission (most trumpet players would have called it a day after the solos), the orchestra did Offenbach--Gaite Parisienne, and concluded with Suite from Der Rosenkavaler. Manny played all of this, and sounded completely wonderful on everything. I thought this was an amazing feat in itself, but to top this, I couldn't believe that he had just given a wonderful performance of Brandenburg less than 40 hours before. This was perhaps the most impressive week of beautiful trumpet playing I have ever seen or heard.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Robert,

Thank you for your kindness and the reminiscence about that summer! I'd forgotten all about that set of shows. The arias were tenor arias from Tosca, La Boheme, and Turandot (Recondita Armonia, Che Gelida Manina, and Nessun Dorma).

Ah, it's good to unleash your inner tenor!

Thanks for writing,

ML

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Robert / Manny - sounds great! What about that for a suggestion for your cd? :D