I'm a believer...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vega Power, May 31, 2012.

1. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    You're so correct, Pat S; the science behind all this eludes me. I was so skeptical about the use of bracing (or not) affecting the tone and playing characteristics of a horn. This was a perfect test of that theory since, as I mentioned, I was playing the horn with no knowledge of anything being changed.

Patkins, I'm just so thankful I called the shop and told them to find the missing brace. Doubly thankful that they found it. How it was missed, nobody seems to know.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Some braces are to transfer energy to another part of the horn, others are to damp vibration. They are one of the biggest factors in fine tuning an instrument. I have been working on a new design of picc and we have a couple of working days invested in bracing alone.

The where is not only important, the how and with what is also critical. Braces must fit exactly and not be installed under "tension". I am experimenting with forged braces and am very much liking what I hear.

I'm very happy that your horn has been restored to where VEGA originally intended it to be!

3. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Oh, I LOVE the '55 lacquer on top, that's how the other looked one, too?

4. Jappe

Jappe Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2011
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Have a question for the techies.

My Stomvi master has just one brace. But it is one hell of a trumpet, it sure slots very good. The leadpipe has no braces at all. It is removable and can be replaced with an other. It only is attached to the mouthpiece receiver and on the point where it enters the valve block. Maybe the pictures will tell the story

DSC_0451-1.jpg

DSC_0473-1.jpg

DSC_0470-1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. Jappe

Jappe Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2011
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Have a question for the techies.

My Stomvi master has just one brace. But it is one hell of a trumpet, it sure slots very good. The leadpipe has no braces at all. It is removable and can be replaced with an other. It only is attached to the mouthpiece receiver and on the point where it enters the valve block. Maybe the pictures will tell the story

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jappe

Jappe Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2011
    Antwerp, Belgium
    "I just can't seem to remember how to post those damn pictures. What the hell am i doing wrong?

just go to my album Jappe's Album: Stomvi Master"

in the meantime made it work..... Just forget this post please... Maybe some pictures to make up for it.... My old Bach with braces ;-)

[​IMG]

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Stomvi has achieved balance in an unconventional way. Additional bracing would just mess it up.................

8. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    Leftmid7, you were wondering if the '46 looked like the '55 prior to restoration. Here's a pre-restoration photo. It's raw brass. What you don't see in this photo is the 20+ dings and dents on the other side of the bell. There's been no pictures taken since it came back a second time.

My thought, regarding the missing brace, was that it would loosen up the slotting more and make the tone even warmer, like my Committee and '39 Handcraft Imperial. It was just the opposite.

[​IMG]

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    My Schilke X3L has very simliaqr bracing to the Stomvi you pictured except the leadpipe receiver braces to the first valve casing. There is no brace on the bell. It is of course a tunable bell. Schilke was way ahead of his time and was wise enough to partner with Yamaha, so no-one would steal his patents. Stomvi comes close. but I prefer the option of having a tunable bell and being able to replace the entire bell. Stomvi makes some fine trumpets.

10. Jappe

Jappe Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2011
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The Stomvi atually has a screw-off bell. The bell screws off where you notice the bulb between second and third valve. The tuning happens by sliding the bend, so the intire bend comes off (and is also interchangeable). You can see the flat screw bottom left in the first picture. When you remove the leadpipe and the bell and the tuning bend, all is left is the valve block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012