I'm a bit worried, need some advise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oriolescolano, Nov 13, 2013.

1. oriolescolano

oriolescolano New Friend

Aug 3, 2013
    Hello,

I'm a senior high school student. In about three weeks, on the same day, I have two important concerts, one with a Big Band, where I play lead trumpet, and another one with a Symphonic Orchestra where I play first trumpet. I have some important solos (not difficut) but I really want to be in shape when the concert comes. The issue is that the four days before the concert I'm on a school trip and I can't bring my trumpet with me (I'm not going to have much free time either). So I'm a bit concerned about my endurance on the concert day.

Do you have any tips or advises or experiences to share with me? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much.

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    At a minimum, take your music, a mouthpiece and a rag/washcloth/etc. Buzz into the rag for a bit of back pressure and sound dampening.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Ask you band director to speak with the person in charge of the trip and see if they can get you permission to bring your horn.

4. motoboy

motoboy New Friend

Sep 7, 2005
    SC
    I say don't worry about it. Enjoy your trip and think of it as a welcome break. If you are in good playing shape the four days off won't hurt you.

5. oriolescolano

oriolescolano New Friend

Aug 3, 2013
    Are you sure about that? I'm in good shape right now but four days off... it seems a lot.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I don't know of ANY lead player that can take off 4 days and not be significantly impacted.

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    You answered your own question - it is called doubt and whether your chops suffer or not, you are already doubting taking 4 days completely off. In short, your instinct is telling you something...trust it.

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    If the playing is that important to you, I'd consider skipping the trip.

Tom

9. oriolescolano

oriolescolano New Friend

Aug 3, 2013
    In don't think I will skip the trip, it's going to be a lot of fun. I would like if you could give me some tips, maybe taking my mouthpiece with me or some exercices to do just when I get back to try to get rapidly on shape. Thanks for all your answers!!

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Most important: Don't overdo things on the school trip. I know these things can be extremely good fun, but... the fun tends to come after the official programme, waaaay later... and later... and then... you wake up next morning without having gone to sleep. THAT is the one thing that can hurt your endurance the most. So try and be a bore during the trip, go to bed ridiculously early (no later than 2am), abstain from beer after the fifth can, and only take on one girl at a time...
    Seriously: Long nights and revelries tend to damage your wind more than overdoing it while practising. And if you keep your lips in shape by taking your spare mouthpiece (best an exact copy of the mouthpiece you are going to use at the concerts, NOT the one itself!) and buzzing - you can even turn your mouthpiece into a party piece by taking a length of garden hose and a kitchen funnel as well, and construct your "Emergency Trumpet".