I'm a bit worried, need some advise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oriolescolano, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    You're a senior and soon you'll have the advantage of never seeing them again. Do what I'd do, stash a cheap horn and a mute in your luggage. Once the bus/plane gets rolling, there's not a lot anyone can say. Be discreet. Practice a little everyday. Unfortunatley, here's the rub. It just sucks that some baffoon is telling you you can't when you already know what you're going to do. Be respectful! If you do get approached and they say "You were told to not bring your horn!!" just say "Don't worry, this isn't the good horn that I perform with. This is a model to keep my lips in shape. if it gets hurt, at least it's not my good horn". If push comes to shove, let them have the horn (make sure you get a reciept from them that's signed by the person that the horn is in perfect working order and that way if it's damaged, they will be responsible) but you keep the mouthpiece to buzz on.
    If they ask for the mouthpiece, simply tell them no.
    You(or someone) asked if they can take their instrument and were told no.
    There's an underlying lesson here that's far more important than the two performances you are to do.
    Its a life lesson that many don't learn till much later in life. Hopefully you will learn from it today.
    What's the lesson?
    "Don't ask questions that have answers you may not want to hear".
    Dr.Mark

bumblebee likes this.
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Ok - ole KT would like to say 4 days off from heavy practices actually helps me as it give my lips some rest - albeit I said away from heavy practices - I like the mpc and rag concept - easy to hide and you can sneak in a few minutes here and ther - in the shower if need be - even when I'm not having enough time - 10 or 15 minutes a day keeps my tone good - 4 days of eazy play helps me be stronger a lot of times

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    barliman's point about pacing yourself is spot on. Don't skip over it. In my own case in college, I was stupid to make out with my GF the night before my semester playing-jury. My chops were hamburger the next morning and I did not fare well.

Also, I personally would not advise quibbling with the sponsor over what kind of horn you're taking. Be honest and forthright. People remember somebody weasel-wording things, and not usually very favourably. My alternative would be to get your band director to talk to the trip sponsor, describe your situation (maybe also pointing out that your performances are required school activities at which you also need to be reliable), and ask for permission to take your horn.

Regarding buzzing, when I was your age, I personally never benefitted from much mpc buzzing, and certainly not over a four-day period. For me, it would have stiffened my chops.

I realize I'm hardly the only one on the forum with this background, but for the sake of illustration - I was first trumpet in all-state bands, gold medal winner at Solo (& ensemble) competitions, and played first trumpet every year in my own schools from 7th to 12th grades, and I would never have been able to take four days off and come back and do a credible job of what the OP is describing. Perhaps the OP can, but to suggest that as a generalization without actually knowing his personal abilities, I believe is a bit risky.

4. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Listen,

Playing the two concerts in one day, lead in both organizations, is going to be hard enough.

Taking 4 days off from playing before the concert is irresponsible. If you care about your playing, then
    knuckle up and skip the trip. This is the price we pay for being serious about music.

I've been in this game a long time and I've never known anybody that plays their best (or even well) after four
    days away from the horn.

But if you want your cake and eat it too...then go ahead.....you're the one who's going to be standing
    one stage playing. It's up to you, do you wanna sound good, or suck?

bigtiny

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wrong! So wrong. Miss one day, you know it, miss two days, the ensemble knows it, miss 3 days the audience knows it.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Using more tongue would have prevented this... just say'n:whistle:

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mouthpiece and rag... and use them to practice your same practice routine... don't cut the practice short

Ohh and some chap-stick (for the pretty girls).

8. jdturbo22

jdturbo22 New Friend

Nov 11, 2013
    Four days off is a lot, I can't take 1 off with out feeling a significant difference, take your mouth piece and buzz at the least.

9. motoboy

motoboy New Friend

Sep 7, 2005
    SC
    So, what did you decide to do and how did it go?

10. oriolescolano

oriolescolano New Friend

Aug 3, 2013
    I went to the trip and just have fun. When I got back I was worried but whhen I and played, I felt incredibly well, it seems that the rest was perfect for my lips. I felt great and played a very good concert.

I did buzz a bit but only a few minutes every day.