I'm an idiot-I dinged my cornet again!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by smatt401, Jun 29, 2011.

1. smatt401

smatt401 New Friend

May 11, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Folks:

The title says it all, "I'm an idiot-I dinged my cornet again!"

Here's the first picture: new horn, stand, diligently practicing, horn on stand, switch to Arban's, pick up horn, clunk. Oh no, I barely tapped my horn on the edge of a chair but there's a dent!:huh:

Here's the second picture: new horn, stand, diligently talking a lesson, horn on stand as lesson ends, cover horn with protective cloth, bump water glass off desk, clunk, remove cloth, oh no . . . I'm an idiot-I dinged my cornet again!!!

The common denominator in these accidents is Brian Russell of Russel Winds (email: [email protected]; web: www.russellwinds.com).
    He opened his schedule (summers are busy times for instrument repair shops) and repaired my horn beautifully. Both times.:dontknow:

He refused payment but I insisted on giving him cash the first time. This last repair my funds were low (I've joined the ranks of the unemployed) so this is my means of paying him.

Folks, if you have repairs that need to be done and done right, give Brian Russell a call or send him an e-mail. He worked for Greenhoe building instruments and valves--he knows what he's doing. Plus, Brian is a great guy.

Let him work on your horn, you won't regret it. Really. :thumbsup:

Stephan

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and - if you find you don't have enough money to fix a dent --- you actually might want to leave it there --- it adds character, and somewhere down the road, when a child or grandchild inherits that horn -- he/she will know that it was used, and played, and has many stories to tell, and many songs to sing to them --- all because of a dent -- they will know:thumbsup:

jdangel38 likes this.
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And if anyone knows characters, it's Kingtrumpet!

4. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Do not be to hard on yourself. The other day,I stuck my Flugelhorn Bell in my ceiling fan. Had it up on a high shelf in my Study Room.

Was planning to have some dents removed in a month or so. Just one more to remove. How ever hard we try,some dings or dents will happen over the long haul. Murry's Law.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    if horns could talk when given a choice... be left in the closet and remain dent free or take a few dings ..... well I think it's rhetorical
    if you play you rock

6. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    I know well the "I'm an idiot" feeling. I have a 1948 Olds Ambassador cornet that was in perfect dent free condition. I put a mouthpiece on the top shelf of my closet. I didn't have a case for the Olds and had it on top of another case in the closet. I knocked the mouthpiece off the shelf and "DING" right on the bell.:-o
    I have and old frankentrumpet that needs the valves rebuilt. If I decide I like the trumpet enough to put money in it I'll check in with Brian.
    Thanks for the lead. We can't get enough good honest repair techs.
    -Bobby

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I didn't see any pictures!!?? :huh::huh::roll:;-)

8. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    We once used see-through plastic plates (100+ grams each solid plastic) on top of sheet music when playing outside.
    While I wasn't playing (and the horn was on the stand) the wind blew my plate from my music stand, and the corner of the plate went right into the curved tubing before the bell... It has a huge dent in it now.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah -- look who's talking --- better look in the mirror and tell that to yourself - you are a character gmonadyROFL