I'm drowning!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PiGuy_314, Jan 5, 2014.

1. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Hey all.

I practise.

After a little while, usually less than an hour, I will have spit (condensation ;)) practically pouring out of not only my water keys, but my bell, valve caps, and yeah, if I tilt the horn, leadpipe. I'm not playing anything especially high. I'm not playing especially low. I'm not playing anything especially...well...special.

So, the question:

What does it say about me as a trumpet player if Niagra Falls is unleashed by my trumpet when I play?

Seriously, I'm excited to know if that says anything specific about the player. Do some people just 'spit' more than others?

I'm excited to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks.

~Noah

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Spit remains consistent among trumpet players, condensed water not. Think of the trumpet as a moonshine still. If we breathe deeply and blow correctly we are blowing lots of warm moist air from our lungs, and that is a good thing. Water goes downhill and tends to collect at the bottom of our lungs. When we blow from there (ideal, by the way) we have more humid air going into the horn and therefore more condensed water.

Your full spit valve is a good thing.

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Another factor is the ambient temperature and/or the temperature of trumpet. Cool = more water.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I presume you are emptying your water valves every few minutes? Like during a few bars rest etc.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Piguy,
    You asked:
    "What does it say about me as a trumpet player if Niagra Falls is unleashed by my trumpet when I play?
    -----
    First it says you are practicing and that's a good thing.
    Second, it might say you are forcing the air too much. Throughout the mouth we have saliva glands that can be expressed via pressure. For example if you close your mouth and tighten you cheeks (Not those cheeks!! the cheeks on your face!!) and tighten your chin, you'll notice that a little extra spit was created.
    What can happen is when we blow too hard is that we must tighten the inside of the mouth to hold back the forced air. When we do this, extra saliva can be created because the various glands are being expressed. This is not the recommended way to express yourself. Possible remedy? Ease up on forcing the air. Don't make every note a note based on air compression.
    Also, temperature can effect things. Do you notice more spit accumulation in the cold weather than in warm weather?
    ----
    Seriously, I'm excited to know if that says anything specific about the player. Do some people just 'spit' more than others?
    ----
    Saliva production varies from person to person. Some have an inability to produce adequate amounts of saliva which can lead to oral problems. You however do not fall under this category.
    Hope this helps.
    Dr.Mark

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Noah,

I wouldn't give it much thought. As others say, lots of variables and individual differences. My puddle at the end of playing us often twice the size of the player next to me. Not much you can do about it. Work on playing, stop worrying about the water.

7. PiGuy_314

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for all of the responses. I'm not worried-- simply curious. But I agree. More playing. Don't think too hard about it.

Huh. Interesting....never knew most of that stuff before. Thanks for all that.

All of this just occurred to me when I noticed the spit flowing down my left arm (from the valve caps). Curiosity can lead to wacky things, I suppose...:lol:

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Noah, if all else fails, build a big boat and gather some animals - the band might be a good starting point for that endeavour - avoid Violists. ;-)

(I bet he's never ever heard that one before)

9. PiGuy_314

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Oh, never. ;-)

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Some people generate more saliva than others. My dentist comments on the "generous" amount I produce every time I have a checkup. She said that's why my teeth are in such good condition. That's also why my puddle of "condensation" is usually larger than the others in the section. Make sure you empty it often to cut down on it running out of the bell. I don't know why it's running out of your valve bottom caps, though - that doesn't usually happen unless your valves are leaky.