I'm embarrassed to ask...how to put that snazzy list of instruments under our name?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Feb 5, 2015.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Re: I'm embarrassed to ask...how to put that snazzy list of instruments under our nam

I've always found the listing of gear in one's signature line to be kind of interesting. I could own 25 exotic high end trumpets and flugelhorns, but it doesn't mean I can actually play well on any of it. It just means that I spend a lot of money on equipment. In my case, I don't spend a lot of money on equipment - I find a horn that works pretty well, and I use that. I'm also not into the vintage instrument craze, so I don't have anything out of the ordinary or interesting that anyone would actually care about.

I might add my antique 1886 Winchester rifle to my signature line. Unlike my trumpet equipment, that actually is something other than run of the mill - it's quite a special, rare bird indeed!

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Re: I'm embarrassed to ask...how to put that snazzy list of instruments under our nam

I could add my cobb rough Confederate Civil War musket from Fort Sumter, SC....

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC

Do you have provenance that puts it at the battle at Fort Sumter? It would be cool if you did. The only provenance I have on my 1886 is the letter from the Cody Firearms Museum that denotes the factory specs of my rifle based on the serial number, which in the case of my Winchester is more than enough.

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina

Naw, just word of mouth from buyer to seller...and that was also the locale of the last seller...this thing was lightened in the field. The stock had been had whittled with a rattail file to make it easier to lug. A trigger guard was fashioned from a strip of metal than had been chiseled out of a larger piece. A nail was in the sideplate. As rough as it is, I believe it would still work now. It is a TOWER (British) percussion cap ~50 caliber. I wonder how many souls were slaughtered by this arm, and how many more were killed holding it. What a story this silent monster could tell.

I would imagine that someone...a survivor, lugged it home, and it kept a rural family protected and fed after the war, during the carpet-bagger days.

5. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal

I've seen beautiful horns, you posted, and I also saw a lot of the "before" photos of them. You earned them! I really love seeing your beautiful horns, especially the SARV civil war one. :thumbsup:

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie

Thanks, all.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011

I bet it has great projection....

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina

Better penetration.
    A medieval blunderbuss would trump it on projection.

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.

Done (but with an hour late on what I announced). Sorry.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land

Thanks! I appreciate your rep point, and can confirm that the last rep comment I saw yesterday has dropped off the list, presumably forever.

Kind regards,
    --bumblebee