I'm getting to darn old........

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by bandman, Dec 27, 2005.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I had come jobs on Christmas Eve that went great! I got home and cooked for 13 people for lunch the next morning. Ate with the family, did the Christmas gift exchange, and then collapsed.

They let me out of the hospital last night (after keeping me for about 27 hours) with the agreement that I go see my cardiologist this morning. I leave for Colorado on Thursday -- this was another big scare.

Be careful my friends -- I know for a fact that I'm not the only musician who burns the candle from both ends at this time of the year. When I went down Christmas afternoon it was a message from God -- SLOW DOWN!!!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, Bandman...

I'm glad you're okay but your sense of humor (judging from that little clip) will maintain your health in good stead, I suspect. If you're at rest and taking it easy, I recommend "March of the Penguins". What a fabulous movie!

Here's to a New Year with no health scares.

ML

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I'm hoping everything goes ok for you with the cardiologist! I can learn from that, as I'm sure many others can.

A few years ago, one of the other teachers in the area was taken out of school on a stretcher. He told me that was a lesson to "not sweat the small stuff". Seems a similar lesson.

Hope everything is ok for you.

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    :-o Yes, please Bandman....be careful and never deprive yourself of needed rest when possible. I want us ALL to have a Happy, HEALTHY New Year including you!

(funny little penguin clip)

Yes Manny.....March of the Penguins is a sweet, wonderful movie. Nature is an incredible world.

Alright there bandman, show the cardiologist you are made of steel and stay well!

5. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Man, that's scary. It IS a wake up call . . . but you might not still be listening close enough. Your cardiologist may make a quick stop of your trip.

However, I truly hope this is just a wake up call though and that you check out fine today.

I'll be praying for you today!

Warmest regards,

Tom Turner

PS: I'm facing this things too real soon if I don't get my extra weight off . . . and most of us will face these things sometime in the future . . . although we refuse to believe we'll ever age!

Again, I hope everything comes out ok!

6. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    :-o <-- Dittos to that...

Geeze. You've got me worried now. Between the sleep apnea, early mornings for work, multiple gigs and rehearsals, church functions, family, and taking classes full time, I'm overwhelmed myself. I think that post is worth its weight in gold.

And like Tom posted...I think the extra weight I'm carrying is pushing me closer to the edge. My wife has made me promise to lose at least 20 pounds by Valentines Day! The sad part is, even if I did, I'd STILL be sitting in at 230 pounds and an easy 40 pounds overweight. Sigh...

Sounds like it's rice cakes and water for me....

7. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Ahhh! Mr. H, slow down!

Take it easy for a while!

*hugs*

Lara

8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Between our hearts, our lungs, our backs and our joints - we ALL have so much to look forward to....ugh.

RZ - rice cakes are evil. They are no fun to eat and they process into simple sugars = empty calories. Don't bother with those. Eat lots of soups with veggies and healthy broth and stews. Also, Barilla has a new pasta out that is rich in Omega-3 and made of legume flour (beans) instead of processed wheat flour. MUCH better for you and there really is no difference in the taste from traditional pasta.

The current problem area for me is my lower back. The holidays ruined my exercise schedule, so its time to get back on the hamster wheel. Without regular exercise, I have intense lower back pain. Here's to a new year of HEALTH for ALL of us.

Bandman....PLEASE.....be careful and take great care. Please.

9. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Keep us posted. Also know that you are in our prayers!
    Roy Griffin

10. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Bandman,

I wish you all the best in health.

What good is this wish without giving you some ideas on how to make this happen?

Here is what works for me:

Eat non-fat meats only once a week (chicken without skin, fish, no red meats for they are high in fats and cholesterol)
    Eat lots of fresh vet salads and if you want dressing, use olive oil and lemon juice.
    Eat only 5% or less cheese
    Drink a cup of water every hour.
    Stay away from flour foods as much as you can. This for sure will help you loose weight.

Swimming seems to be the best exercise for ones back (are you reading Alex?) and also for the whole body actually for it does not require heavily pounding your body parts against the floor/payment. This hard pounding will shorten your spine and joints making them hurt in the long run. Swimming will tone up your muscles and lengthen your spine and joints because of the anti-gravity effect due to the buoyancy in the water.

Rest is just as important as exercise. Enough said on this one.

Make a schedule for yourself and keep to it for your body will thank you for it.

Be well,

Liad Bar-EL