I'm having a tough time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Dec 5, 2007.

1. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Ok, here's my situation. I didn't play over the weekend like an idiot. I came back to school Monday to find out how bad it actually was. My crispness on high notes and my articulation is all out of whack. I think one reason is because of the cold weather; it usually hurts me, but not this bad. I have District this weekend, and it could determine whether I have a chance for State or not. Please, someone help me out.
    (I do use ChopSaver, but it sometimes makes my lips too "un-chapped," if you can believe it.)

2. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California

I'd say practice all week, but take a nice big warmup first. You have a ton of crap in the bloodstream in your lip from not playing for awhile (I'm not sure what its called) But the idea of a warmup is to get out all of that extra matter in the bloodstream. If you play alot or on a regular basis, you may not need as long of a warm up to get it all otu. But in this case, i'd say a long warmup is needed. Remember to rest as much as you play.

Keep Using you chopsavers... that stuff will cause miracles to happen with your chapped lips.

And always remember a nice solid warmdown. Warmdowns usually consist of playing nice low long tones (nothing above a Middle concert F) to an octave or so below it. I wouldn't do many pedals for a warm down, that might lead to a split lip in some cases.'

Well thats what I got, I'm sure others will post all over me lol.

3. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    hey, that works. thanks a lot

4. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    First of all relax. Two days off won't kill you. Today is Wed. I bet you are pretty much back to normal. Don't try to do more than you have been. I like the Chop Saver, but not for a performance. It makes my lips to slippery. However it is good for chapped lips. The day before your District or whatever your audition is, take it easy. Be good to your self. A nice warm up and some easy work. Don't do to much.

I got some good advice just a few weeks ago, before an important gig. Just remember to relax. Remember to breath good. And during the week before your District, don't do less than you have been. But be kind to your chops. And the day before take it easy. I bet you will be fine. Good luck.

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Let this experience be a lesson to you. You have to practice every day. A day off is unacceptable. Saturdays and Sundays are prime days to practice.

As for this:"You have a ton of crap in the bloodstream in your lip from not playing for awhile (I'm not sure what its called) But the idea of a warmup is to get out all of that extra matter in the bloodstream." It is hogwash.

6. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    But isn't it harmful to your lips if you practice too much? I've heard from several people that it can hurt you more than help you if you go for hours of practice. I try to practice everyday, just this weekend was tough because I was tied up in a lot of things. Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

7. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    I think everyone needs a day off each week. Some can get by playing every day, but I'm sure they have very light days included. I believe there is a danger to to much practice. I have problems doing to much. I was advised to add more soft practice in my program. I did and I'm recovering from a little over use syndrome.

I was doing 2 -3 hrs some days, with to much loud playing included. It caught up with me. rowuk advised me to break up my practice into 4 or 5 half hr. sessions. It is working.

Remember, a player who has been working 2-5 yrs, and built up his practice time slowly and wisely can handle much more stress to his chops than others who have not put the time in.

Take a day off each week. Listen to your chops. Something I say but have a hard time doing. Good luck this weekend.

8. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Time off is necessary from time to time. But I don't follow a set time frame for when I feel I need a break. Regular practice is vital, just listen to yourself when it comes to taking a break. If your feeling a little off, take a breather. I also like the recommendation that Miyot offered for breaking up your practices. Sounds like a good idea to me. This should keep you from burning yourself out in a drawn out, marathon type, practice sessions.

9. wvtrumpet

wvtrumpet Pianissimo User

May 14, 2004
    West Virginia
    Time off is very important if not for the chops but also for the mind. I find that I really have to take a day after a hard, long gig. Most often that occurs on a Saturday night, so taking Sunday off is some cases is very nice and serves me well.

10. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    The time off isn't the problem. It's your expectations (most go thru this!) now that you are starting back. Do you really expect to feel/sound like you never stopped??? Honesty, baby...

Second step is to take it slowly, building back up to your "pre-break" level. Don't panic. So, you may have to do some basic fundamentals for a day or two. No big deal. Enjoy it....and don't over do it! Rest as much as you play... and build back up over a few days. All will be right with the world.

I wanted to add that you were worried about hours and hours of practice being harmful. This is true if you don't rest inbetween drills/exercises/whatever you are doing. Also if you have no balance to your practice sessions. (too much loud...too much anything).

Now, for a bit of chastisement. I totally am okay with the concept most here have stated in regards to some time off. Cool. However, you did this when you KNEW you had big time stuff ahead. Shame. This is your lesson for the future.

Regardless...I really expect you will be just fine. Relax...it's only a couple of days. Go at it slow with no expectations...build towards the weekend. You can do it!!!

Much success....

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007