I'm having problems in the high range.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Apr 4, 2008.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    It's not that I have trouble getting the high notes, that's usually not a problem. The problem is after I play really high I feel like passing out. This is mainly a problem in high school jazz band. I have times that I would never know whether I would pass out or not from a high note at least 3 or 4 times a week, though I never really have passed out, but have come EXTREMELY close and have the feeling that I don't know if I'll be passing out or not.

But that was a week ago, now that we got in this new song that has me up to E flats and has about 30 high C's, I about pass out 4 or 5 times daily on that song, I never feel so great after that class gets over. There is this part where I'm a background for a solo and play nothing but high C's through the entire solo, that's what gets me a lot. Another part that has caused trouble is when I have to hold that high C for 5 measures. That part was when I got an enormous headache and came my very closest to passing out. That was the only time that I hadn't fully recovered better in 2 minutes to my normal self, I felt terrible for the rest of the afternoon. Most of the time I just about pass out, it goes away after at the very most, 2 minutes and I feel normal again. That song is bad news, even though I can take it down an octive (well, I could take it down two), it so tempting when you actually see it on the page.

I was just wondering if these things are normal for lead jazz trumpet players and whether or not I should worry about this.The problem is that I don't know if I will have problems from playing the high notes until about 2-3 seconds after I've played it, I never have these symptons while playing EVER. High notes never usually bother me unless I really have to hold them or they are the majority of the song. My lip can take more that my head can. I was just wondering what I should do in order not to have any more of these experiences. I have all the information I need on mouthpieces, I was just wondering if there is some kind of high note trumpet medicine that you won't pass out from playing high. Thanks.

2. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    Preachin' to the choir, Brother!

3. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Trumpet man -

It's normal because your changing the air compression and pressure in your body. Nerves / nervousness can cause this too.

BEST way to fix this is to hold those higher notes softly without excessive blowing and adapt to the notes / pressure / etc. Make them feel as relaxed as the notes are an octave below. Once you adjust, the dizzy feeling won't appear until the next series of upper notes that you're not familiar with - G's, A's, etc.

Just my 2 cents -

Keith Fiala

4. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    have to wonder about your director that is having a hs band doing a piece like that.

5. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    It's weird, because I play in the college jazz band as well, and all the songs are much easier than all the high school bands. He pushes us to hard.

6. B

B New Friend

Jan 19, 2004
    Northshore of Boston
    It sounds like you are pinching your air way off too much. Start with some range exercises and pay attention to what you do as you go up in range. I too had this issue as a JR in high school but some rage expanding exercises relieved me of the issue. By SR year I had no issues playing the 1984 Olympic theme (in 1985) first part.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    your over breathing &blowing too hard. back off on mouthpiece pressure & volume