I'm having trouble finding my own sound, but not being repetitive, as I write songs.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rainiac, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Rainiac

Rainiac New Friend

Apr 2, 2009
    Earth. For sure.
    Whenever I write the lyrics to a song, it seems that I gravitate to the same exact...melody. I think it's melody. How can I use my trumpet to make fresh melodies, but also, and more importantly, find my own sound? I haven't put any of the lyrics I've written into songs yet at all. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks in advance :)

2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Re: I'm having trouble finding my own sound, but not being repetitive, as I write son

I know what you mean. Generally, you will be thinking of the melody in terms of major scales. To change from the melody to a break in the song, try thinking in terms of minor (think mysterious, frightening), and then go back to the major. This is very basic, but it helps a lot.

3. Rainiac

Rainiac New Friend

Apr 2, 2009
    Earth. For sure.
    Re: I'm having trouble finding my own sound, but not being repetitive, as I write son

Thanks :) Okay, when I get up tomorrow I'll give that a try

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto

I have no idea what this means.

5. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006

Maybe it wasn't that clear

Here is an example of what I'm talking about: YouTube - ‪I CAN'T GET STARTED - Bunny Berigan 1937‬‎

First, Bunny plays a cadenza
    Then, he plays the main melody on trumpet
    After a sax break, he sings the main melody
    Then, he sings the extended melody
    He then goes back to the main melody

At this point, we've heard a lot of melody.

So now Bunny switches to a cadenza in a minor key (or I'm not sure how to say it; it at least has the feel of being in a minor key) so that when he goes back to the original melody (which is in a different key than before), it sounds fresh.

Basically, I was trying to say that a shift to minor helps to freshen up your melody.

To Rainiac: You might also want to change the key of the original melody when you go back to it